Opening living room and dinning room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a had a few builders price up, opening up my living room dining room and they have all said I need a 3.1m universal beam. However one build has said you can use a concrete lintel instead.

I have done some research and found out that these can be used on dead loads, with load bearing wall.

But I would like to know if this is ok to use on a live load, load bearing wall.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I would not recommend using a concrete lintel on a 3.1m span, and which is presumably carrying a wall and floor above.
Pre-cast concrete lintels are not wholly reliable as they are subject to cracking whilst being handled. Also, they are primarily intended for new work where they can be built-in as brickwork proceeds. In that case, the brick courses immediatley above provide some stiffness to the beam by virtue of the adhesion of the mortar, This will not occur when the beam is put into a newly-formed opening.
It's safer to go with the Universal Beam; a 203 x 102 on 6" concrete padstones will be fine.

Good answer from Tony.

Have any of these builders mentioned the words "building control" or "structural engineer"?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back