Opening Skylight Impact Neighbours

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Neighbours have installed without planning permission a arge skylight 2m x 1m that opens, its on their ground floor extension roof. It's literally 3" from my bedroom window round the back. Previously there was a skylight which did not open. Needless to say it's made a lot of difficulty for us due to noise and moving 2msq of glass right in front of our face with the opening/cosing motor.
Previous skylight was over hallway, but now its a bedroom always occupied (change of layout in that flat).
Does this sound like it needs consent or is something that can be complained about ?
Also is there a fire risk as it now opens?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Roof windows are normally permitted development. I've got 2 electric ones on my rear extension. They take about 30 seconds to open/close and although you can hear them I wouldn't call them particularly noisy.

The motors not going to be constantly going off. Is it really that noisy?

So your allowed to open your window but you don't want them to open theirs??

on paper if its a flat then they need permission but if it wasn't a flat then provided the skylight falls under permitted development then they would be allowed to install it without permission.

Sponsored Links
@Designs.3DR
It's not the motors, it's the fact that we lose privacy because it was the quiet part of the property now there is a 2mx1m skylight opening there so all thenoise from the flat downstairs come straight into the flat, the noise transfer from the other flat is the problem - the previous skylight which was replaced was not a problem because it did not open. That's the problem, the loss of privacy. It is a flat.

The fire risk query is interesting. I don't know the answer but would the rooflight count as unprotected area on the boundary? There is also the issue of the fire rating of the roof itself but again I'm not that familiar with the regulations for flats so it could be a red herring.

It also begs the question if the room was previously a hallway does the new bedroom have adequate means of escape via a fire egress window or is the rooflight the only window?

Could be an interesting can of worms waiting to be opened if reported to Building Control. I would imagine the building freeholder would have something to say about the alterations as well.

Is it a converted house or purpose built flats?

I believe that prevention of fire escape that previously existed, and due to the design of the roof if an attempt was made the escapee would have to walk through a very narrow walking route barely big enough for a foot just next to the opening which is more than 2m across and 80cm high (dimension of mouth of skylight) which would make falling to their death likely. I think there is a good case here.
Therer is also the risk of amputation of limbs given the proximity to the rooms, and if any ladders or equipment is in use above, it could be dislodged by the movement of the skylight which could be triggered by anyone below, who have no knowledge of what is occurring above ... and as a result all forms of maintenance require safety briefings etc...

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back