Moving a kitchen and communal stairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I have a first floor flat which is part of a 3 storey Victorian conversion (3 separate flats). Approximately 10 years ago, I swapped the kitchen and the 2nd bedroom around (they were next door to each other).

I was very naive at the time and relied too much on the guidance from my builders. I vaguely remember them saying I didn't need planning permission. However, I don't remember either me asking or them advising me about building regs. I wasn't aware of them! Needless to say, the kitchen was moved without notifying building control.

Now I am older and wiser, my concern is that I should have contacted building control as this arrangement is a potential fire risk. Am I right?

The kitchen is now directly next to the communal stairs whereas previously there was a small lobby between these stairs and the original kitchen. As far as I am aware there is a normal plasterboard wall between the kitchen and these stairs. I suspect the ceiling is the same. There is no entrance to the kitchen from the communal stairs and I don't need to go through the kitchen to get out of the flat.

I know ventilation can be an issue but I think I am ok there - There is an extractor over the electric cooker through an external wall and a gas boiler, also with its own external flue. The sink is underneath a window which can opened.

I don't want to get into trouble with building control or move the kitchen. However, I am thinking of selling in a couple of years and in any event I am concerned about the current risks to my neighbours.

Can I resolve this by explaining the error to building control and installing fire-resistant plasterboard between the kitchen and stairs? would I need to do this also for the ceiling? Can fire resistant plasterboard be laid over the existing wall?

Any advice gratefully received.

Thank you

Munchen

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back