Protected Lobby Dilema

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help!

I'm supposed to be starting work on my flat next week after confirming with Building Control 2 months ago that the work I was doing was fine and it would be done under a building notice. I had the surveyor round yesterday as I wanted to be good and give more than the 48hrs required notice. When he came in he immediately said I couldn't do the work.

So here's my issue:
I'm in a 4 story townhouse broken into 4 flats and I'm in the basement flat. There is one central set of stairs servicing the block.
I'm the only flat at the basement level where there is a small corridor and my flat is right next to the bottom of the stairs.
As you walk into my flat, there is a hallway to the front and wall and doorway to the kitchen on the left.
I want to remove this wall so that as you walk into the flat you have an open plan kitchen space.

The surveyor said that because I'm removing this wall, I'm removing a protected lobby between the communal staircase and my kitchen and this cannot be done. He then went on to say I need 2 door protection from my kitchen to the communal stairway.
The other rooms have large windows so have alternative means of escape which he was happy with so this is currently the only issue.

I asked if I could increase the size of my front door so that its 90mins thus increasing the protection I currently have from two 30 minute fire doors, and I was told that I couldn't because of smoke.

I then phoned his boss who said they would only allow it if I put a sprinkler system in the kitchen area, which seems to me, overkill for this situation.

Has anyone got any ideas how I can deal with this? Do you think a sprinkler system is my only option?

Many thanks for any responses, I'm tearing my hair out at the moment!

Steve

Sponsored Links
Your BCO is correct in that you cannot walk straight out from the communal area into your kitchen area.

The fire rating of the door between the communal area and your flat is not the main issue - it is the smoke seal.

Basement flats are a particular problem because of the potential build-up of smoke which can fill the staircase enclosure. If the smoke seal on the main door to the flat failed, smoke would fill the staircase. If you have two doors (as at present) there is less chance of both seals failing.

You may be miffed at the attitude of the Council, but you (and they) have a responsibility to the other residents.

Hi,
Thanks for the reply and clarification there. I'll start hunting for sprinkler systems! :)

Cheers

Steve

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back