Opening up a ceiling

STI

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have an extension at the back of the garage. Although it has a couple of windows it runs west to east and the windows are at the north side and west end. The land slopes to the west end so the amount of light and sunlight we get in the room is not enough for swmbo.

I am thinking of removing the ceiling and putting in a couple of velux windows on the south side of the roof.

At last my question! Can i move the rafters at the base of the roof timbers Off the walls and up the roof beams. So moving from a triangle set up to a A set up.

Sorry i dont know the technical terms for these roof supports. I guess this is ok but would appreciate some advice from the experts.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
A vaulted roof can be build without joists so long as other structural elements are factored in to mitigate the lack of triangulation gained from the joists.

This can also be done retrospectively but may be disruptive and could need sanction from a structural engineer plus a look from building control.

It seems as though you want a raised tie roof or a collared roof. Not impossible but it does require some thought and a bit of structural nous.

It may mean a steel ridge.

Is it a lean-to roof, gable or hip?

Are there purlins in the roof?

Hi Noseall,

The roof is a gable design. At the moment i dont think there are any purlins, (are these metal joints ?) i havent looked at the timbers in this section but in the garage where there is no ceiling their is a central wooden beam running lengthways down the apex of the roof, to which the two sides of the curent triangle shaped frame, are joined by nails/screws. These go to the top of the wall. Joinng these two sides is a piece of timber running from one wall to the other. Its this one i want to lift so it joins the two sides coming down from the apex beam, lets say half way up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back