Vaulting ceiling or raise ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm wondering if someone could offer up some advice regarding either vaulting a ceiling or raising the ceiling so I can put a couple of velux windows in.

This is where i'm wanting to put a couple of windows in. The black line indicates there is a wall between us and our neighbours
IMG_9727.jpg

This is the inside, the black line is roughly where the top of the flat roof comes to. So need to raise the ceiling to accommodate them.
IMG_9721.jpg

Because it's such a small pitched roof, am I right in thinking the ceiling joists won't that structurally important?? and i could vault or raise it.

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
I'm finding it a bit difficult to work out what is going on!
I get the impression there have been a few extensions?
Have you considered a couple of sun tunnels?

Yes you could do that, as long as the joists are not shared with the neighbour and you take their bracing away.

I'm finding it a bit difficult to work out what is going on!
I get the impression there have been a few extensions?
Have you considered a couple of sun tunnels?

All the flat roof part was extending a while ago by the previous owners. The pitched roof part was the old kitchen, which has now been incorporated into the new kitchen.

I've considered the sun tunnels, but to be honest would prefer the look of the velux's if i can do it.

Sponsored Links
Yes you could do that, as long as the joists are not shared with the neighbour and you take their bracing away.
When I looked through the "loft hatch", there appears to be no bracing just the ceiling joists attached to the pitched roof rafters and onto the wall between the 2 properties. I've no idea if these continue across into neighbours house, should this matter if the joists on top of the dividing wall?

Ceiling joists are bracing for rafters.

You'll need to check if the rafters are suitably connected/supported at the apex, or if any ceiling joists do in fact brace both eaves

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back