Opening up chimney - poor brickwork condition

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're in the process of installing a stove in the dining room of our Victorian semi. Having removed the plasterboard from the opening and plaster around it, there's clearly been some infill bricks added and a new, small concrete lintel.

We would like to open it to it's original dimensions, to allow a decent sized stove plus adequate room on each side. Plan is to remove the infill bricks and small lintel with the original arch supporting the chimney.

However, my concern is the state of the original brickwork - the left cheek looks reasonable (but not great), as does the arch, but the right cheek doesn't look great and seems to be thinner than the other side.

I would appreciate the opportunity of those with more experience of old brickwork/chimneys.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20191013_193326.jpg
    IMG_20191013_193326.jpg
    407.1 KB · Views: 677
  • IMG_20191013_193337.jpg
    IMG_20191013_193337.jpg
    376.6 KB · Views: 519
  • IMG_20191013_193316.jpg
    IMG_20191013_193316.jpg
    398.6 KB · Views: 593
Sponsored Links
If it was mine I would carefully tooth out the jambs and make them at least 9 inches. 9 or 13 inches was the standard size. It needs to pick up the Springing point of the arch.

Thanks, that's what I thought but it's beyond my skills/experience to do it myself. Would you suggest doing this on both sides or just the right? The left is 1 brick wide which I understand is about the minimum but acceptable.

The springpoint of the arch meets the bricks of the left hand side, but hard to tell in the right due to the poor state of the bricks. I'll have a look from inside the chimney and see how far the arch extends

I would get the right done. What part of the country are you. Nice job in this weather.

Sponsored Links
Ok thanks, I'll look into it.

In Sheffield in you know anyone local?

Any idea how much it would cost for someone to get it to a point where it's structurally sound? I'm happy to remove all the infill myself but only if it's not going to fall down!

Labour wise I'd be happy with £100. You could clean up some of the bricks to reuse. Only really a mornings work to get there, have a drink, tooth out and rebuild.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back