Opening up Loft Hatch/Cutting joists

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all, in a 1920's Sandstone SemiDetached bungalow. The loft hatch is tiny, Literally just 500mm of plasterboard removed between two joists.

I was thinking of fitting some more joists (as seen below) then cutting one out the middle so I can Have a decent sized hatch as the current one is very hard to get in and out when you have to place ladders up at it.

The hatch is in cupboard in middle of house, between two brick walls which presumably will be bearing the weight of the joists above so I dont see any issue with the way Im planning on doing it, but though Id better ask if this is correct or madness first lol

Sponsored Links
Partly what its in aid of, the folk are comming in october to insulate it and I cant see them squeexing the rolls throguh the current hatch!

Sponsored Links
Ours is the same, I can bearly get through it.

I had to unravel the rolls in the room below and some one had to pass it through. Looked like I was pulling a large snake into the loft.

When you put your timbers in, try and get the same size and double them up...adds strength.

Keylight do some drop down wooden ladders that you can install single handedly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back