Opening water meter stopcock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I am trying to open my water meter stop cock, its thesame as the one pictured. Does anyone know how I can open it, I have tried the following to no avail.

Multi stopcock opener Rothenberger Universal Stop cock opener
10mm hex key

The 10mm hey key just turns the top where the screw is, more like its removing the head rather then opening the stopcock.

Attachments

• imag0037.jpg
    imag0037.jpg
    255.1 KB · Views: 2,425
Sponsored Links
That hex cap usually unscrews and then a key is inserted to turn the supply off. Give Thames water a call on the number on the tag to confirm before doing anything.

That hex cap usually unscrews and then a key is inserted to turn the supply off. Give Thames water a call on the number on the tag to confirm before doing anything.
Ahh. so we have been trying to turn the wrong stuff. From what you are saying, the first step is to unscrew that hex stuff, which should then reveal a head that a key plugs into ? Is that correct ?

Thanks for this.

With some types then yes that small white cover unscrews revealing the tap head below. Always give your water authority a call to check first though as there are different types coming out all the time and they keep changing them.

Sponsored Links
On checking further on newer models that hex is the tap itself. That should screw down to turn off and screw up to turn on and there should be a black plastic T bar in the chamber to do that but again check with the Thames first.

When i have tried to turn the hex plastic stuff, I noticed that still no water, instead the hex was becoming loose and the screw becoming loose, and everytime that happens I screw it back in to make it tight and not make the hex fall off. So from your first explanation, then it appears that by screwing it back in tight, I am not making any progress, instead going backwards. Also, I have turned the hex with a socket, still nothing happens water wise, so its time to take a plunge and take off the screw/hex head.

Just to ask, once the screw is taken off, what will I see and what kind of key do i need to turn it off. I also say this because the next door neighbour also has a water meter, but thiers has no hex head, and a different kind of key, the properties are of a similar age, and I can only assume the meters were fitted at about thesame time, but I could be wrong here.

I always wondered why their key could not fit into my own, could it be that they have thier screw taken off, and my screw has not been taken off. With thier key, its kind of roundish looking inside into it.

On checking further on newer models that hex is the tap itself. That should screw down to turn off and screw up to turn on and there should be a black plastic T bar in the chamber to do that but again check with the Thames first.

It should be a similar hex key fitting below but again, please give Thames water a quick call - it's an 0845 number so will only be pennies, that way they can confirm the procedure to you. With me being back up north now, water meters are rarer, so tend not to see lots of new ones so not familiar with all the newer types hence the recommendation for you to phone Thames to confirm.

If you look there's a black key with a tee head that's the key to put into the White hex then turn it clockwise for off and anticlockwise for on.Bob

is the photo your metre ?? if it is ,the key is in there, the long black thing .if your pic is someone else's ,ask them of you can borrow the key

If you havn't got one then rob the neighbours, I've had to keep checking covers until I found one to turn off someone's water off.

I had one in the back of the van (somewhere)

Andy

Sorry guys. The picture is not mine. It's the same though. I used the pic as it was much clearer.

I unscrewed the cap today and did not see a place to put a key. Please see picture. Neighbours don't have same meter and some don't have a key.

Attachments

• 20170817_190702.jpg
    20170817_190702.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 3,226

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back