jointing compound for drinking water stopcock

16 Dec 2002
Reaction score
United Kingdom
I recently (and for the first time in a new build 5 year old flat) turned off the water supply to the kitchen tap which was leaking, using the stopcock beside the boiler. I've now established that the kitchen tap has ceramic discs and not washers so I'll have to clean and descale that to try and stop the dripping.

The new problem :confused: is that the stopcock is now dripping from the threads at the handle. It was very difficult to open in the first place and seemed to have a whitish coating around the edge of the tap. So I was thinking maybe I need to reseal the stop cock. I found a jointing compound on screwfix but it says it's not suitable for drinking water. Given that the stopcock controls the water going to the kitchen taps, I need a different jointing compound.

Any ideas?
Assume I have no knowledge of plumbing.

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
PTFE tape is good
And any jointing compound that says POTABLE on the tin will do you
Sponsored Links
The small nut on the valve, through which the shaft projects. The handle you turn to operate the valve is on the end of this shaft. Spanner size is about half an inch , across the flats.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local