Opening water meter stopcock

your suppose to turn the whole hexagon for on/off , they sometimes just turn but not turn the valve .sometimes the hex just clicks as its not engaging or just spin freely , you will know by feel . the water board will deal with it for free and sort a new hexagon fitting

Sponsored Links
Sorry guys. The picture is not mine. It's the same though. I used the pic as it was much clearer.

I unscrewed the cap today and did not see a place to put a key. Please see picture. Neighbours don't have same meter and some don't have a key.
you don't unscrew the hex fitting , the key thats suppose to be there fits inside that hex fitting to turn on/off ,

sometimes the key is within the foam casing that sometimes lays on top of the meter , more for later models thou .

also try tightening the screw then use the key to turn off

Right.
I need to look In the foam stuff. I do have a 10mm hex male key which goes inside the hex hole. Still no water in the house.

It's a house that hasn't been lived In for a year so all the water turned off. I can't find a stop cock inside the house. Checked everywhere which is why I feel it was turned off from outside.

you don't unscrew the hex fitting , the key thats suppose to be there fits inside that hex fitting to turn on/off ,

sometimes the key is within the foam casing that sometimes lays on top of the meter , more for later models thou .

also try tightening the screw then use the key to turn off

Sponsored Links
its very common for people to over tighten the hexagon fitting thus fooking it up . you will know if your turning it on / off or not . so why go checking other valves when all you could be doing is fooking something else up .

On checking further on newer models that hex is the tap itself. That should screw down to turn off and screw up to turn on and there should be a black plastic T bar in the chamber to do that but again check with the Thames first.
That's the one :)

oh, it's wasn't your meter was it, substitute Thames water for your water authority ;)

Still thames water.
Just don't know what to do. This is mine.

Attachments

• 20170811_200906.jpg
    20170811_200906.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 237
its very common for people to over tighten the hexagon fitting thus fooking it up . you will know if your turning it on / off or not . so why go checking other valves when all you could be doing is fooking something else up .

When I said check your neighbours, I meant for a key, not to turn off their water.

Andy

Hi All.

Thanks to everyone who tried to help me out. So what happened was that I called thames water out. When the engineer came out, he first unscrewed the white plastic thing on the stop cock.

After that he brought a meter long T bar with a shape similar to the one pictured, when i asked him what that thing is called so that I could go buy one or perhaps for me to see what it looked like, he kept saying it wasn't any good to me and that he would get me a key and drop it in the chamber, last time I checked he has not yet done that. He said the metal stuff is no good for me, but the key is what I need.

WhatsApp Image 2017-08-31 at 13.21.12.jpeg

This is what you need:

IMG_2540.JPG

IMG_2541.JPG

IMG_2542.JPG

IMG_2543.JPG

The thing you have drawn is a generic stop tap key that old men use to save them bending over to reach the little black key.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back