Opening window requirement in bedroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We live in a bungalow. The main bedroom is about 24 feet by 14 feet. We have one pair of french doors opening to outside, and one pair into the conservatory.

Our D/G windows are shot, and we would like to remove them and brick up, for a couple of reasons. But this would leave us without an openable window, apart from the D/G French dooors.

Does this contravene any regs?

Many thanks in anticipation.

Sponsored Links
If you have doors, then you don't need to get out through a window

Thanks. I was thinking in trms of ventilation. The current window has small openings at top. Before we did the FD's they were the ONLY openings, and there is no way even a kid could get through!

I understand there is a requirement for a certain area of the window to be opening in certain rooms including the bedroom but i guess what your asking is does the patio dorr count. If its glazed maybe it does? Somone will be able to point you to the regs im sure else a google might reveal them.

Daniel

Sponsored Links
dhutch";p="2252728 said:
I understand there is a requirement for a certain area of the window to be opening in certain rooms including the bedroom but i guess what your asking is does the patio dorr count.
dhutch";p="2252728 said:
Exactly my thoughts. Thanks for the clarification

If its glazed maybe it does?

It is (double) glazed

will be able to point you to the regs im sure else a google might reveal them.

I've tried the Google, but can't really find an answer. Our BC is also useless, and is always difficult to get a straight answer, or speak to the right person.

Can anyone tell me the corect "PART *" letter, and I may find it with that.

Thanks again

Thanks again.

The building regulations apply to new build and certain controlled alterations only, and would not apply in terms of ventilation to the OP's situation

The requirement for new build would include a background ventilation (trickle or wall vent) and rapid ventilation via an operable window or door

Sounds like the short answer is, yes you can brick it up, which confirms to the common-sense train of thought.

The building regulations apply to new build and certain controlled alterations only, and would not apply in terms of ventilation to the OP's situation

The requirement for new build would include a background ventilation (trickle or wall vent) and rapid ventilation via an operable window or door
Ok, so if you're doing away with an opening windows in a room, you wouldn't have to replace ventilation in another method?

Thank you all so much for nyour help, in particuoar the link. I will have a good look at all this over the weekend. Thanks

Ventilation has to be to external air, not to another enclosed space ... as that is not ventilating anything just moving air to/from another room

And a door opening into a conservatory is an external door, surely.
Why?

Other than the fact its proberbly not heated, its just as much a room as any other, you dont count the door opening from the hallway. Car port yes, but not a connie.

The OP however has two double doors, a pair into the connie and a pair to outside. Its the latter that could be sued for ventilation, surely!

Daniel

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back