new window opening

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK..... new to this, even tho I have browsed it over the last few weeks!
I am in the process of planning a re-haul on the large bedroom to create two bedrooms for the kids. It will have an internal wood framed stud wall, and will require a new window to be cut into the exterior wall.

The property is a mid terrace. I have the window unit already here. It is a full-opener with a top opener. It is fire regs approved for the building regs. It will positioned in the newly "partitioned off" area. I have spoken to building regs and confirmed that the minimum required is 500mm fro the corner of the property. This would mean that it is 500 mm frm the existing window in the wall. The property is from the 1890s. I dont believe that it has a cavity, due to the age. I have drilled through the walls in the past for aerial cabling etc.

apologies for rambling....... 2 questions i have are: are 2 concrete lintels enough support for a window opening of approx 2ft?

What is the best ways of making good regarding a DPC for this kind of wall (9"no cavity brick)

thanks in advance :(

Sponsored Links
ha! this works!

ok. I understand if its a cavity wall, then a cavity closer is required etc.

I am intending on installing a " new" stone sil to keep in the appearance of the property. would this need a dpc above or below??

Call me a numpty, but I have been looking at so many articles over the last few weeks!

Sponsored Links
hooray.... some sense!
thanks for that, the diaphram helps too!! lol

its a upvc unit thats going in, would anything need to go in above the lintel too?

As it's a solid wall you don't put in a tray, but you can get a solid wall catnic lintel which will show all brickwork on the outside.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back