Opentherm System Boilers for Nest v3

It depends.
:)
clear.png
clear.png

Sometimes

Sponsored Links
It very much does work with OpenTherm, as well as remote control.

It will even put boiler fault codes onto the display.
Interesting, they don't advertise this on their website...is there a thing of words in the Library about how to make it work with OT?

Sponsored Links
OpenTherm is old technology now, and it is centred around the Netherlands. No one cares about it in the UK, the boiler manufacturers want to sell their own controls.

Manufacturers use their own proprietary controls. There is no advantage for them offering compatibility with OT, because there is a limited instruction set and it erodes their controls sales.

Manufacturers only used OT gateways where they couldn't afford to develop their own stuff or there was legislation mandating it (Netherlands, I believe).

The internet had only just been invented when OpenTherm was being designed.

It very much does work with OpenTherm, as well as remote control.

It will even put boiler fault codes onto the display.
Interesting, they don't advertise this on their website...is there a thing of words in the Library about how to make it work with OT?

Just use the OT bridge instead of the BDR.

Manufacturers use their own proprietary controls. There is no advantage for them offering compatibility with OT, because there is a limited instruction set and it erodes their controls sales.

Manufacturers only used OT gateways where they couldn't afford to develop their own stuff or there was legislation mandating it (Netherlands, I believe).
I think you are forgetting the "Internet of Things". For this you need sensors / actors that share an IP network. Most heating companies are too scared to open up their protocols, but in the end they will lose because the customer will demand it.

The internet had only just been invented when OpenTherm was being designed.
Internet conceived 1969; Opentherm 1996.

Yes, I'm sure we all had the internet in our houses in 1969, you Google wielding pedant.

In 1998 less than 9% of UK home households had access to the internet, it nearly doubled the year after. So I think 5% is a good guess for 1996 - and that is when OT was published, not designed.

I don't think the customer will demand it, 99% of my customers just want an Evo - or think they want a Hive till I show it to them.

The internet of things is linking the manufacturer products like vSmart, WAVE, etc. OpenTherm means nothing to the man in the street and it never will, its time has passed. It is history.

Unless you have a Remeha Avanta.

Yes, I'm sure we all had the internet in our houses in 1969, you Google wielding pedant.
You are making the incorrect assumption that every fact anyone gives must have been obtained by searching the Internet. Wrong! I've been using the Internet since 1992 - before Google existed - and, even then, was familiar with ARPANET and other "Internet" predecessors.

As for your prediction about the end of OT, we will just have to wait and see. But I wouldn't bet any money on it if I was you.

Well, as far as I know (I'm not a Baxi installer), all the newer Baxi models made after your obsolete Remeha Avanta boiler have dropped OpenTherm. Hardly sounds like the future, more like Netscape.

Well, as far as I know (I'm not a Baxi installer), all the newer Baxi models made after your obsolete Remeha Avanta boiler have dropped OpenTherm. Hardly sounds like the future, more like Netscape.
I don't know of any Baxi boiler - apart from the rebranded Remeha Avanta - which has been equipped with OpenTherm.

The Netscape brand may no longer exist, but the browser still continues as Firefox.

The point I was making was that the manufacturer of your own boiler has dropped OpenTherm.

I believe the GA range had OpenTherm; now discontinued.

I install boilers, you Google them. Both have equal sway on this forum.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back