Valliant EcoTec Open Vent + Google Nest v3

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys -

Hoping someone can help.

I am having some building work kicking off in January, and with it is a Valliant EcoTec Openvent 38kw boiler (excited!) - there will be two zones, one for the underfloor heating in the kitchen, then the other for the remainder of the house's radiators.

I've purchased two Google Nest v3's to control the two circuits (very excited) and I've noticed on the instructions they are now compatible with OpenTherm systems.

What is OpenTherm, and does anyone know if the boiler which my plumber has suggested is OpenTherm compatible?

Cheers, John.

Sponsored Links
Two V3s seems excessive unless you've got two hot water cylinders, one V3 and one V2 would have done, unless you intend to use OpenTherm. Not to worry.

OpenTherm is a control protocol that helps boilers to be even more efficient by providing much more precise regulation, thus keeping your house at a more constant temperature and reducing your gas bills. Vaillant boilers are not compatible with OpenTherm. If you want OpenTherm control, have an Intergas installed. Better boiler, and OpenTherm compatible. What's not to like?

Thanks for this. I wanted two v3's to allow cater for the farsight and better screen. Luckily now, the v3 does the hot water so perfect timing for the building work. There's only a slight discount for the v2 and I love my gadgets so took the plunge. £400 is a little excessive though :)

I'll have a look at the Intergas options and speak to my plumber about it. :)

If you really need a 38kw boiler (especially a 438) ask your plumber about low loss headers.

Sponsored Links
Yeah - 38kw is needed - 5 bed edwardian property with 4 bathrooms so it's a bit of a beast. I've just googled the low loss headers so I'll mention it to him. Cheers :)

So what is the actual calculated heat loss of your house?

How many people live there?

What size cylinder have you chosen? ( and why? )

Is the cylinder to be unvented?

What is your mains water dynamic flow rate @ 1.0 bar?

Tony

look at it this way 38kw's will provide heat to 38x 1kw rads, do you really need that much heat? There are consequences to drastically over sizing a boiler.

also as muggles has said to get the most from efficiency with nest, it is best to fit them to opentherm boilers, vaillant are not opentherm compatible and neither are worcesters...intergas are the best opentherm boiler on the market imo.

My house has five bedrooms and solid walls but 24 kW will totally heat that!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back