Opentherm & Weather Comp Boilers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone know if there is a list anywhere online of current boilers which support Opentherm and/or Weather Compensation? I haven't managed to find one, but that could be because I'm not asking the correct question!

Why is this information not included in the Product Characteristics Database (successor to Seedbuk) as the information is used to determine ratings?

Sponsored Links
The OpenTherm Association website will tell you which ones properly support OpenTherm. The list is short. Some manufacturers who claim OT support aren't fully compliant (IE they've bu99ered around with the protocol to sit their own ends, or only used the most basic control IDs).

The OpenTherm Association website will tell you which ones properly support OpenTherm. The list is short.
So short that there is only one boiler listed; and that's a "liquid fuel" of a make I've never come across. I remember reading, a long time ago, that the OT Associationw were stopping testing boilers for compatibility, only testing controls. Weather comp is, obviously, not mentioned.

There is a table at https://otgw.tclcode.com/matrix.cgi showing details of many boilers, with the ID numbers they recognize, but this has been produced by boiler owners' and depends on the specific combination of boiler/control they own. Many of the boilers are not available in the UK and some of the information is obviously incorrect. There is also a table following showing information about thermostats, but this is also not always correct.

Hmm I'm obviously out of date, I was sure there were boilers listed last time I looked but I don't see them now! Bit of a pain, will have to be a long winded research exercise

Sponsored Links
The OpenTherm Association website will tell you which ones properly support OpenTherm. The list is short. Some manufacturers who claim OT support aren't fully compliant (IE they've bu99ered around with the protocol to sit their own ends, or only used the most basic control IDs).

The OT Association are doing their best to standardize with the new testing device. They also issue updates to try to clarify areas of confusion of which there were a few. Control design started in the early 00's when there was little co-ordination within the Association; that has changed but it has not got sharp teeth.

There are manufacturers who are members and who did not see the need to be tested as complying as they use the protocol for their own OT controls and boilers and do not intend to promote other combinations; a bit of a oxymoron regarding the 'Open' but here you go..

Other manufacturers who did not like the idea of getting their products tested at the only testing establishment available a while ago looked to group together set up competitor testing house to bring the price down (hence the new OT Association test kit).

For a boiler manufacturer alone it is relatively straightforward, what temperature shall I fire at? It is simply a kettle to make hot water. What information am I programmed to I send to the control if asked? That is less important as the control simply presents zero's to an unanswered enquiry.

We'll get there in the end.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back