5.jpg
    283.7 KB · Views: 207
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    297.8 KB · Views: 246
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
In photo 6 your pier next to your alley looks like a banana

What's your plan from here? Ask him to knock it down and have another go, or get someone else in?
Builders wanted to give him another chance after first go, believe it or not it was worse than this before, shouldn't have listened... I honestly don't have a clue, building control are coming to look, hopefully give some helpful suggestion but yeah not feeling too happy... I don't want to have to render as the bricks mainly and money are wasted, brick tiles maybe...

Last edited:
Building Control won't be interested in how it looks, as long as it meets their regs.
I can understand it's difficult for you to know what do next, as it's obvious you need a different bricklayer. If you have a main contractor it's really his responsibility.

The bond is terrible almost everywhere and the pointing is shoddy, I wouldn’t be happy with it… those external corners should and could be neater, more experienced brickie would have taken the time to cut the bricks to bond it around the corners instead of an ugly straight joint all the way up.

Last edited:
You can get them made from standard bricks. They cut them and resin bond the cut pieces together. Years ago they went into the kiln like that.

DSC00181.JPGYou can make yourself as well, although this is a squint.DSC00180.JPG

Attachments

• DSC00180.JPG
    DSC00180.JPG
    473 KB · Views: 33
  • DSC00181.JPG
    DSC00181.JPG
    478 KB · Views: 37
It looks a lot like my first ever DIY attempt at building a garden wall. OK for an amateur in a hidden corner of the back garden, not for the front of someone's house who's paying for a professional.

You can be thankful you have a builder between you and the brickie. It's his problem to solve, don't get involved in the politics of who he subcontracts to and how much it's going to cost him to get it rebuilt by a proper bricklayer, but that is the only reasonable outcome.

He's probably paying peanuts to the cheapest he could find, is charging you vastly more and was hoping to make a load of money for doing nothing.

Your contract is with the builder, it's his responsibility to ensure the job is done to an acceptable standard, and it hasn't been.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back