OPINION ON WIRELESS THERMOSTAT PLEASE!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=93829

Please can you give me your opinion(s) on the wireless thermostat that i'm thinking of purchasing (see link above). I have a Ravenheat CSI 85 boiler (bog standard).

I am not too bothered about brand names - as long as it does the job. I have no idea what this particular wireless thermostat is like - but the price is appealing for what it does.

Opinions/alternative suggestions welcome!

Sponsored Links
I dont know if this allows different temp at different times, but if it doent thats the type I would suggest.

I dont know if this allows different temp at different times, but if it doent thats the type I would suggest.

No it doesn't. It allows for a comfort temperature and a setback temperature. Programming increments are in periods of one hour which is inconvenient for some people.

Other than that, I've fitted loads of these pieces of s**t and ended up having to replace/return most of them. I won't fit them anymore as it's not worth the hassle.

In fact I've still got a brand new one, 230V though. It's yours for £25 plus PP. No guarantees whatsoever.

Sponsored Links
I've been using a Honeywell CM61 for about 3 years now, and it has worked without fault. I don't actually remember even changing the battery in the transmitter/thermostat, although I assume I must have done given the length of time. I suspect this model might be discontinued now, so I don't know how the newer Honeywells fair price/performance?

I guess my only real regret is not getting the more advanced model, allowing different settings per-day; the CM61 supports 6 target temperatures over 24 hours, but these are the same every day of the week i.e. no flexibility for Saturday/Sunday, which I think I would look for were I buying from new now. In general it can be a bit fiddly getting your target temperatures correct through-out the day, but once you're done you just leave it to get on with things... On a more minor note, I think I would also have bought the optional module that updates the time automatically based on the radio transmission from Rugby.

Added Later

I see they're still sold, although the price below, I would guess, is just for the transmitter/thermostat itself:

http://www.plumbnation.co.uk/site/honeywell-cm61-24-hr-programmable-room-thermostat/

As above though, if I was buying now I'd buy something that allowed variation on different days of the week.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back