WIRELESS THERMOSTAT? HELP!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have moved into a new home which currently has a RANVENHEAT CSI 85 (condensing fanned combi boiler). The boiler is bog standard and has controls for CH and Hot water. All this is fine however i have to keep running upstairs to turn the central heating on everytime it gets cold in the house! I then have to run back upstairs an hour later as it soon gets too hot! In other words, I would like to buy a WIRELESS THERMOSTAT. Please help by shedding some light on the following "blonde" questions:-

1. I have a budget of approx £60 - can i buy a wireless thermostat that can controls the room temperature AND have timer settings? If so, please tell me what brand to buy, any website links would be great! (do i have to worry about compatibilty?)

2. If i do purcase a wireless thermostat as mentioned in no.1 above - how the hell does it work? does my boiler have some kind of sensor already built in? or will i have to buy this sensor as well?

3. How much should i be paying an electrician to install the damn thing?!?

4. Am i right in thinking that the best place to install a wireless thermostat would be in the hallway downstairs??

I have two kids at home and as winter is rapidly approaching - i could do without the cold nights! Really appreciate your help.

Issy from bolton

Sponsored Links
If you dont want to spend money then have a cheap £10 wired stat.

An electrician might charge £40-£80 to connect it close to the boiler and he might end up damaging the boiler.

A heating engineer might charge £50-£90 but he would advise on best siting and would not spoil boiler.

A wireless stat is two units a send and a receive but the cheapest are about £90 to buy.

You can take the send unit round the house though.

Best is a wired programmable stat from £20-£80 but thats too difficult for me to explain quickly.

Tony

Yes you need a programmable room thermostat. Plenty on the market.

My favourite is the Siemens REV23RF. Does everything apart from make the tea :LOL:

Best prices HERE

Don't think one will fit your £60 budget though :cry:

Tony, thanks for such a prompt reply! The problem i have is that the boiler is upstairs (directly above the kitchen - small bedroom). I would prefer to have the thermostat downstairs to control the temp. If i go for a wired thermostat - wouldnt this be too messy?

do u have msn messenger - i know its a BIG ask - but maybe we can chat on there? [email protected]

cheers pal

Sponsored Links
Cheers dave, your suggestions sounds really good although its over my budget. Is it easy to install? could i do it myself? I have the boiler manual and all paperwork........?

gas4you what do you think of the Siemens RDJ10? got one in the van but had not had a chances to fit it yet

As long as you turn off the heating electrics fully at the fused spur then yes it is safe and easy job to do.

The receiver unit needs a permanent live and neutral and also a switched live from boiler or wiring center ch on live and back to the boiler switched live or wiring center.

All would become apparent when reading the MI's.

Siemens REV23 comes with wall mount or table stand.

gas4you what do you think of the Siemens RDJ10? got one in the van but had not had a chances to fit it yet

I only ever fit the REV23Rf in the siemens range, but generally I think the siemens products are very good apart from the rev100. Avoid at all costs and that comes from their rep!

I have a very special deal with Siemens on the REV23Rf. I think in my area I'm the only one fitting them:cool:

A few basic comments on all of the above.
The absence of a roomstat in combination with the brand makes it almost sure the boiler was installed by an illegal gasworker, or by someone who is registered but does not bother to comply with the regs. Same difference.
The installation of a wireless roomstat technically needs a minor works certificate.
I have seen a lot of problems with the drayton wireless systems, always in places with wireless internet connections. They seem to be over sensitive to the signal. From all I have heard, it would seem Honeywell is your best bet at the moment. Good quality, easy to program and alter, and reasonable price as well. Cat2 so one four-core wire does the job.

The absence of a roomstat in combination with the brand makes it almost sure the boiler was installed by an illegal gasworker, or by someone who is registered but does not bother to comply with the regs. Same difference.
The installation of a wireless roomstat technically needs a minor works certificate.
I have seen a lot of problems with the drayton wireless systems, always in places with wireless internet connections. They seem to be over sensitive to the signal. From all I have heard, it would seem Honeywell is your best bet at the moment. Good quality, easy to program and alter, and reasonable price as well. Cat2 so one four-core wire does the job.

I am 99% certain that this was a professional install as i have all documentation and warranties including service history, stamps etc. I also have stamps proving it is installed according to british standards. FUNNY YOU MENTIONED WIRELESS INTERNET THOUGH - I have wifi at home - WILL THIS BE A PROBLEM??

P.S. what does CAT2 mean ? :oops:

Never had a problem with this personally and I've fitted well over 100 wireless stats now.

They operate on their own licensed frequency, although Drayton have changed their frequency relatively recently.

Fitted about 20 Honeywell rf programmable stats, all faulted with same fault within warranty period so I took them all out and replaced with the siemens, no problems since ;)

Interesting Dave, what was the fault? Are those wireless stats all the same one? My supplier said they had more complaints about the drayton, could it be something specific to the area where I work?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back