Opinion wanted on cavity wall interior brickwork please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I'm having some work done on my porch. Part of the job is creating a half height cavity wall.

The exterior brickwork looks ok, but the interior looks a bit messy. Am I worrying about nothing, or is it important to have a tidy finish inside as well? Please have a look at the pics below and let me know your thoughts, good or bad.

View media item 103140View media item 103139

Sponsored Links
Structurally it’s not an issue, if they cared a bit about what you’d think when you saw it they might have bothered pointing it though, but nothing to be concerned about

You might be seeing to much with those eyes Johnny.

If that's that back of the external leaf, it's not an issue.

But you say it's a cavity wall, however that's not one. And the bonding is crap.

Thanks for the replies. That is the interior side of the external brick wall in the first photo. They're coming back in a week to complete the cavity wall with concrete blocks, plaster and make good.

Bit of thread drift sorry... As an aside, the concrete blocks have been stored, uncovered outside my front door for a week of fairly heavy rain. I did ask the builders if they should be protected from the elements, but they said they'd be fine, as they are stored outside at the depot anyway. Does that sound reasonable?

Sponsored Links
I was expecting them to remove or cut out a couple of tiles and expose the concrete slab below, before building the block inner leaf. I can understand why it's not good practice to build directly over the floor tiles. I'll ask about that when I see them next week. I guess it's a bit late to add ties now, but I'll ask about that as well.

Thanks again, really appreciate the advice. I'll let you know how I get on.

All cavity walls should have wall ties. What is the brickwork built off ? If blockwork built off concrete slab are they installing a cavity tray and weep vents in brickwork? All a bit odd the way they seem to have gone about things :!:

Job completed yesterday. All went well.

Thanks very much for all of the input above. Your posts gave me the right questions to ask, to get the reassurance I was looking for.

Cheers!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back