OPINIONS ON DRIVEWAY

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all, i have a front garden/drive which is 50% block paved and 50% untidy lawn, what i would like to do is get both my van and car off the the road for as little money as poss!
I realise its never going to look pukka being a 50/50 mix of surfacing but i have not the funds for re-blocking the whole drive at the moment (moved in 5 weeks ago lots to do).
council roadworkers are down my road at the mo and are prepared to dig out and remove soil using there machinery for sensible money i was thinking maybe 12" down allowing for 8" scalpings/hardcore 4" gravel bringing the height just under the existing block paving.

Would i be better using concrete instead of gravel?

should i go down appx 4" forget the hardcore and shingle?

Broke my left leg last week so being self employed funds are going to be tight for a couple of months!

Sponsored Links
do not go with a topping of 4" of gravel. this is far too deep as you will feel like your treading or driving in quicksand. for loose gravel coverings use 2" max.

2" would be fine, but it is worth forking out for some weed prevention fabric under the gravel or it WILL look like a weed meadow in 6 months.

toptec

Sponsored Links
Thx for the reply's i think i will go for a 4" type 1 base with a 2" surface dressing of 20mm gravel hopefully kept about 25mm down from the edge of the block paving.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back