Cheapest driveways ....

Leaves? I don't think there are many trees in the area!

Anyway, after a discussion with the boss this morning, which went something like:

- People will know we've bought the house, I want it to look good
- But if we spend £5k on a nice drive, we risk running out of money for the house refurb
- But i don't want it to look crap
- But we have no money. ....
etc. etc./

we somehow agreed that instead of gravel, we'll just lower the grass area (and somehow save the grass) so it is level with the current TarMacAdamed driveway, and put something like this grass protection over it so we can park on it for now and see if we have any budget left over after all the other work. I bet we'll have a lawn for the next 10 years at least!

Sponsored Links
Does this sound about right? I've had a price for digger and grab ..

Based on 70 sqm
Total:
£2320 with mesh and gravel
£2120 with red granite (no mesh, and hope it is more stable - it will also match the house!)

Digger £300 / day
40 ton disposal £600 (£300 per 20t load)

Hardcore £600
10cm depth
15 bags needed (8.6 tonnes)
Wickes Granular Sub Base Mot 1 Jumbo Bag £39.99

Membrane £70

Mesh £400 50sqm
Gravel £120 - 3 850 KG bulk bags for 2cm covering.
£39.99 per bag from Wickes.

or

Red Granite Gravel 20mm £106.4 per 850kg
http://decorativeaggregates.com/product/red-granite-20mm-gravel
£320

Compactor hire £100 (cold be less, but will probably need for more than 1 day)

Edging stones, £6.15 per M (basic), so 21m = £130
http://www.wickes.co.uk/Marshalls-Round-Smooth-White-600-x-150-x-50mm-Edging/p/220357

Use Wickes to give you an idea of the budget by all means but don't be buying bulk materials from them! If your groundworkers are local they'll be able to use the return legs of the waste uplift to bring you back whatever your fill ends up being at a lot cheaper

We weighed up presscrete, gravel, block paving and tarmac and in the end went for tarmac. We have had brick edging installed to give it a neat edge, with proper drainage and some brick steps up the front door (front/back doors are 3 foot off the ground).

The presscrete I've seen in person was very slippy in the winter weather with ice on it and one which was done 9 years ago has started to fade. The old couple who had block paving are forever pressure-washing it and fighting back weeds and gravel just gets everywhere. They all have their benefits, but for me having tarmac seemed logical as it's easier to keep clean and lasts a long time.

We paid just over £3k for around 270 sq. ft., which included a dropped kerb extension, front door steps and a new soakaway for the drainpipe. 6 months on and it looks as good as it did when new.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back