Advice on making a gravel drive on a slope

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I have a driveway that is generally flat but begins with a slope about 15 feet long and slopes up about a metre and a half from the roadside / footpath onto the flat level where my house is. We arent talking about a major slope here but is enough for me to be asking advice...so...

Any suggestions on construction methods to make the driveway on the slope bit, so as the gravel wont end up all down the road.

Currently the whole drive is covered in some ropey old asphalt. I planned to leave the asphalt on the flat area - covering with sand and then gravel with some edging blocks to hold it all in. I imagine I would have to dig out the asphalt on the sloped area to make some sort of decent surface to prevent excess loss of gravel down the road - but I dont know what surface or method to use!

Please help!!

Sponsored Links
even if you do fabricate a way to keep the gravel in, it will soon end up being thrown about by young'uns. I'd keep the tarmac, or replace it with more friendly block paving or formed/patterned concrete.

If you like the look of it, there is a product made of gravel mixed with transparent treakly adhesive - you rake it out and level it, then the adhesive slowly sets and you have the appearance of gravel, but the stones are not loose.

It is known as "bonded aggregate"

I had exactly the same problem. All I did was to brick pave the sloping bit up to the level surface, this had the effect of damming the gravel on the higher ground. The odd gravel from the car tyres can be easily brushed back up the slope. The kids skidding broadside on their bikes is a different matter.

Sponsored Links
Thanks one and all

Kids arent a problem much out here in the sticks.

I might pave the slope if I can dig out the stuff thats there easily enough and then use the edge on the flat to hold back the gravel as suggested.

Thanks

break the gravel areas up into panels using a brick on edge detail. That will act in the same way as the paving that was suggested but will keep the whole driveway gravelled.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back