Cheapest driveways ....

JP_

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK, so first job is to make a driveway. Having a local groundworker with digger and grab loaded to quote on levelling the front. But, what to make the drive out of? Done some calculations, and gravel does come out about half the price of block paving (I was expecting it to be less than half to be honest). But, not many people have gravel down my road. One idea, which one other has done, is have a block paved front part (about half a car length) and then gravel the rest. I guess this helps stop gravel moving down to the pavement too?

In terms of cost, is this likely to be the cheapest? Also has the advantage that I know I can make a gravel driveway myself, and i do like that they do sometimes deter would-be burglars!

Sponsored Links
I am more interested in taking costs away, than value! I don't plan to sell the house in a hurry - maybe in 20 years or so ... if gravel is a pita for walking on, I thought i could extend the paved area at the front with a side path running up to the house, so the gravel is enclosed in a paved area / planted border.

For professional block paving allow £75-£100 per sqm. If using gravel then use a gravel retention system (honeycomb grid), cheap and salvoes many gravel issues.

Sponsored Links
I would love to have a 6k driveway, but it is not an option at the moment - need the money for a living room and kitchen first!

This is what I think I to do:
There is an asphalt drive (although too steep really, see other thread!) but OK if driving off, rather than reversing off.
So, the idea is to remove some of the wall (leave about half frontage as wall) and level the lawn area so its same height as existing drive. Although deeper is probably better, if I take out about 15cm, and have about 10cm of hardcore with 5cm gravel, will that be OK? Most of the gravel will be contained by the walled area, and if I am cunning, I'll leave a row of bricks at the bottom.... although, I am making this up as I go along, so probably a daft idea! I hope this will get around any planning issues re drainage, and be a lot cheaper (if a bit of a bodge) than getting it done properly. Also, if I find I have some spare cash in a few years, I can then get it done proper.

drive.png

I have lived with a gravel drive and: NEVER EVER again!! Weeds grow through it, couldnt wheel a trolly jack or sack truck, jack up the car, kept loosing nuts bolts screws that I dropped,kneeling down was painfull"...................Icould go on.
litl...

I must admit, I made a gravel patio about 15 years ago (using 3 different pretty coloured stones) and that was not fun barefoot.
But again, it was cheap! At least with this idea I'll have the asphalt drive for main access, the gravel will just be to reverse park onto and drive off.

But again, it was cheap! At least with this idea I'll have the asphalt drive for main access, the gravel will just be to reverse park onto and drive off.

Asphalt? Why not Tarmac? Much better and less brittle.

Gravel drives (with retaining rumble strip) are relatively cheap. We usually 'frame' ours with (solid) blue brick soldier headers laid flat. Build a rumble strip out of granite sets or tumbled paviors and fill in with (100-150mm) MOT then lay a maximum of 40mm of gravel on top. Any more and you will be swimming in it.

Some gravels 'bed down' better than others.

Gravel migrates and needs to be raked.

Weeds will grow INTO those areas of least traffic.

It is impossible to sweep rubbish (leaves etc) off gravel - therefore it will become compost and eventually produce organic growth.

We did one exactly a year and two weeks ago. I'll photograph it if I remember on my way past. Still looks ok and no weeds yet. He never rakes it either but the gravel bedded in well. I did put a strong geo-tex fabric beneath the MOT though.

Asphalt, tarmac, I thought they were the same! Whatever it's there can be left.

It is impossible to sweep rubbish (leaves etc) off gravel - therefore it will become compost and eventually produce organic growth.

I always tell people when laying gravel drives or paths that they need to budget an extra £200 for a leaf blower.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back