Opinions on price for work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have received a quote for creating an new opening (using catnic lintel) to take a set of 5' french doors (supplied by me and not included in the quote) which will be fitted by builder. There are no services to be moved. The builder will take away the rubbish. The quote has come in at just over £1200. I don't know whether I am being a naive but that just seems a bit high to me.

Just wondered how it sounded to those 'in the know'?

Sponsored Links
:oops: Not sure if that was a sarcastic bargain?

Only thought it was high in cost as only material costs to builder are lintel and some mortar, and he says it will take 2 -3 days.

Have to make decision on this by Monday so if anyone else has any opinions or advice I would welcome them.

Hx

i think thats a decent price!
why dont you get more quotes ?.

Sponsored Links
Personally I think it is a bit steep.
As you say, not much in the way of materials - maybe £100 - £150, though the catnic might be this much on it's own - who specified it? You could get a rough cost of it if you know what's being supplied.
It also depends on whether you've got wooden or UPVC doors, as there is a lot of work cutting hinges and locks in a wooden set, whereas with UPVC once the frame's in, it's just about all done.
It also depends on whether you've got nice brickwork that needs to be neatly cut, or rendering that needs to be made good.
Is he going to use cavity closers to insulate and support the cavity behind the frame - you can get quite a lot of condensation on the inner reveals if this isn't done properly.
Hmm, maybe it's not such a bad quote. But you should really get another one, or certainly be very clear on what he's going to do.
You'd probably be really peed off if he was finished by lunchtime on day 2, leaving you to patch up, do some pointing, plaster the reveals, refit the skirting.

Does that include VAT? If so there's £156.00.
2 x men on £100 per day for 3 days = £ 600.00 so that leaves £ 444.00 for materials like hire or acrows and strongboys, supply of lintel, are bricks being cut or knocked out? Lots of making good to do inside and out. Diamond disc wear etc.
I think it's about £ 70.00 now for building notice to install new door?
Plus you've got to think he's probably making 15% on materials he's supplying.
All just my opinion ;)

hi, as has already been said, get more quotes and check references .

Get in writing exactly what will be done.

find out for yourself what needs to be done so you dont end up with a cowboy doing a botch job because he was the cheapest.

when you get the quotes in ring them back and haggle.

2 x men on £100 per day for 3 days = £ 600.00 so that leaves £ 444.00 for materials :

Is it better to pay £100 per day for someone to come an put a support in any old how, or £150 per day for someone who is experienced and will do a proper job with minimal disruption and little damage and making good to other parts of the room?

What about insurance?

Its not just about a staight daywork cost

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back