Opinions on worktop installation.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey folks! My first post here so be gentle with me.
We had a kitchen installed as part of our extension. It features hardwood pre built carcasses with a compressed laminate worktop.

There appears to be a 5mm gap between worktop and unit all the way round, bar areas that have been siliconed. This means that there's a small amount of flex on worktops to about 10mm. I'm a completely different trade so I can't say for sure, but I'd of assumed there would of been a compete seal all the way round, or the units would have height adjusted to match worktop? Here's some pics hopefully showing it.

Thanks for taking the time to look at this.

Shiny metal is that of the worktop hob.
IMG_20200201_182340.jpg
IMG_20200201_182352.jpg

Sponsored Links
Is the gap the same front to back ?

Is the worktop level?

Are the units level?

First impressions say that the units need adjusting up to meet the worktop and securing to it but I might be wrong

There shouldn't be any flex ....the worktop should sit flush on the carcases......I'm not a kitchen fitter but work on new kitchens with kitchen fitters a lot .......you should not be able to see part of the hob between base units and the underside of the worktop.

Cowboy fit by the looks of it ......no easy fix if joints have been glued .......flexes !!!!!! no way should there be any movement .

Bloody hell!
Call them back and give them 100 lashes from me.
Units MUST be perfectly levelled before being fixed securely to the wall, then checked again, then again and then once more.
It's a rule of mine that if i can remove the legs and the units are still levelled, then i fixed them properly.
Then, before installing the worktop, check the level again 3 times.
After cutting the worktop, check the worktop level another 3 times in all directions.
Only at this point, secure the worktop to the units and the wall batons.
They installed wall batons, didn't they?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies. It's nice to know I'm not being anal with things like this. Sadly we won't get anywhere with regards to making good on the work, but that's the world we live in. Cheers all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back