Opinions please on new tool idea (college project)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For GCSE business studies in our Year 10 class, we have been challenged with the task of creating a company and/or a item, to attempt to market successfully, as if we were a real company. Now, at this stage with have developed a company name, P.E.T (Performance Enhancing Tools). As you may have guess, we are setting our company as a engineering tool company. As our first product, we have come up with the idea that follows:

We plan to market a pair of automatic hydraulic pliers, of which both the handles and grip will be hydraulic. The special part about the idea of these pliers is that because of the automatic hydraulics, which when commanded to (By means of a trigger device on the structure), the grip will automatically close in on and tighten around the bolt in use. Once the grip is locked, the handles will also lock together, and will allow for more leverage for the user. Once the bolt in question has been worked with, you can release either the handles, or both the handles and the grip (Once again by a trigger on the structure). The idea by the hydraulics, is to reduce the amount of manual effort required in the process.

Because of the hydraulics involved, the grip can lock onto large bolts etc. or on very small ones, depending on the job required. Also, for different jobs, the pliers can come in different sizes, Small (5 by 2 inches), Medium (10 by 2 inches) and Large (12 by 2 inches)- please note these measurements are very rough, and final sizes may change. Made mostly from titanium, we hope to price them at £15, £20 and £30, small to large respectively. Although, once again these prices are rough estimates.

Finally, the idea of this product is that it can be used by anyone, i.e. plumbers, electricians, builders, DIYers, both inside and outside the home. Also in businesses etc.

Hope this is the right place, as it is tools.

*EDIT*: Oh, opps. The question is: Would this product have any pratical use in any and all mechinical related work? Would you use this say if you were a plumber, electrician, DIYer etc.

Yes, I do know about molegrips, but im not researching the market. I need to know wether you would use this tool in your workplace.

Sponsored Links
What's wrong with a pair of mole grips?

Oh, opps. The question is: Would this product have any pratical use in any and all mechinical related work? Would you use this say if you were a plumber, electrician, DIYer etc.

Yes, I do know about molegrips, but im not researching the market. I need to know wether you would use this tool in your workplace.

Sponsored Links
The problem is, most [trades]people will use a spanner or a socket for a nut. Grips and such-like universal tools are always a last resort.

But for things that need to be gripped, then I am not sure how much an advantage hydraulics wil be - is all this power needed? Leverage is normally about a longer tool to get the leverage, not so much about a strong grip from a shorter tool.

Also you need a thin handle rather than a fatter one, as you can't lever so much if your hand is gripping a wide tool. Consider a spanner and some mole grips of the same size, it is much easier to grip and pull a spanner than trying the same thing with a hand around mole grips.

It does not matter how much the tool grips the nut, if it is not comfortable to pull - the hand is the weak link

But in todays gadget led market, there is always the opportunity to sell a tool that may have a 'percieved' value, but not a practical one. Take a look at the many gadget catalogues that come through the post, or sites like QVC and Innovations.

I can't see this tool being bought by the professionals - they are fussy for proven tools or leading manufacturers. But I would see a market for the occasional DIYer or as presents for someone who does a bit of DIY, where these may 'look good' or appear to offer a use.

If you have a sketch of the tool, it may be useful to see it to see if it looks worth a purchase.

Now, a hydraulic cutting tool would be more useful, as bolt croppers and snips can be a bit hard to use on thick metal

There are hydraulic and pneumatic pruners on the market, save operator fatigue on a long day.

They are doing a very large number of cuts, very repetitive. If you were not doing many then the effort of setting the tool up would mean that hardly anyone would bother using it.

Hi Liam

I have to concur with the others who said that tradesmen tend to buy known, reliable manufacturer's tools, but I'm also concerned about the choice of material. Why titanium? Titanium is extremely expensive and difficult to forge relative to the normal choice for tools, chrome-vanadium tool steel. I know it is lighter in weight, but in a tool weghing under 1kg that is probably not going to make much of a difference. I'd also be concerned, as a user, about the ability of the tool to get into confined spaces. Will this be possible?

In the plumbing market you would need to be able to compete with water pump pliers, soft-grip pliers (designed for use on "show" polished fittings, Mole grips, Stillson wrenches and Crocodile wqrenches (Sandvik/Bahco, etc). Take a look - you would be entering an already crowded marketplace.

Scrit

The first thing I thought, (before reading Woody's post) was QVC. He'd sell thousands!

Liam - Interesting project. I work on product design in my day job. I also work with people who design in titanium sometimes. Firstly, your question is market research really. You are seeing whether the potential customers i.e. the people on this site would use your product. Also practically speaking you could never make a tool you describe for anything like the price you propose to sell it for and neither should you. If you made a product from titanium with hydraulics then people would expect to pay far more. By selling too cheaply you are underselling (and losing money). Up your price!

only possible uses i could see would be for a very worn nut with virtually no grip. trouble is they dont happen that often! May have some merit in the motor industry where they have to work in tight openings around car engines etc and getting two hands in its virtually impossible. try asking around some local garages

as for perceived uses then for diy market if it was cheap enough and marketed in the right way then im sure they could sell, ie older people or women who may have less strength etc. if you look in any diy store there are any number of products that practically speaking are not worth the money or whose job can be done by a cheaper time honoured alternative. Does aiming it at such a market necessarily justify its existence? :?:

Well presented question and explanation though! ;)

One small point, if you are doing this for a school / college project shouldn't you have moved over to metric by now?

-Neil

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back