Opinions please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Okay got an interesting one on the go and I think I know the answer but just wanting to see what others would do

Been tasked with wiring up a garden room/office, fair size (probably needs planning but doesn’t have it) electric heating, led lights, possibly electric water heating, ive sized the cable feeding it to take at least 40amp for future proofing

The issue.

Current supply is 100amp single phase feeding the large (5 bed) house. It also feeds a garage block, a plant room, a bungalow where the son lives and another studio flat where another son lives (all on one plot of land). The bungalow then feeds another small ‘annex’ with its own electric water and space heating.

My concern is that this supply is already overloaded. Last year the 6mm cable running down to feed the bungalow burnt out and was repaired, I think largely due to the fact it has little over current protection (looks like someone has removed the existing Wylex 32amp mcb and bodged in a 63amp!

im not really prepared to make the final connection to this setup as it Already has so many issues, I have told the customer I need to make an assessment on the existing load and establish whether there is any capacity. I think from what I’ve already seen the only option would be a supply upgrade, I’m sure diversity won’t even bring me close the supply available, they are already exceeding it, although obviously not enough to blow the cutout fuse

anything else I should consider? Or just run!

Sponsored Links
A lot of properties will have this kind of set up on their 100A main fuse.

That's if it is a 100A fuse - it may actually be 80A inside, or less.

You should satisfy yourself that the other loads have been done reasonably, the 6mm2 cable may be more suitable on a 40A, but obviously we can't tell you that.

None of it has been done reasonably, all of it done by themselves or a handyman/gardener they used to employ

I have already replaced their home made unvented cylinder!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back