Opinions required

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm just interested in your opinions on what the requirements are to set up as a one man band electrician.

Here's my scenario,I have C + G 2360 part 1 with about 5 years experience,mainly commercial and domestic installations.
I'm doing C + G 2360 part 2 at the moment at night school,I also have 16th edition and will be doing C + G 2391 just after christmas.

One I complete these exams (assuming I pass) would I be right in calling myself a qualified electrician?

I'm competent enough domestically (in my opinion) to carry out most works,although I'm at a stage where I occasionally need advice (such as being 100% certain of the earthing system etc)

Having the confidence to leave the company I work for and set up on my own is the difficult bit .
Should I just go for it or gain more experience first.....I'm not sure.

Any views / opinions most welcome

Sponsored Links
its a big step, but good luck

you should consider very carefully.

you need

transport
materials
paperwork
accountant
work
finance

you get

job satisfation
stress
more bosses than you have now
stress
no paid holidays
no paid sick leave
(i mentioned stress twice because you get a lot of it)

Don't forget when deciding your hourly rate:

You will work far more hours than your physical work - there's all the paperwork, estimates, bookkeeping etc....

You are trained

You have all the proper equipment

You have public liability insurance

These are just a few of the reasons why your hourly rate may need to be more than you think.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back