Can i go to work?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have my C&G 2360 part 1&2 and 2 years experience as an electrician. Can I go out on my own or do I need part P, JIB or anything else?

Sponsored Links
Most medium/big sites want you to be JIB registered if you want to get registered through the JIB as an electrician then they want you to have a nvq level three.If you havent got the level 3 cert then you may get registered as a trainee depending on your age.You also need the ECS H and S certificate.As for domestic work you will either need to register through a competent persons scheme eg NAPIT ECA etc or notify some of your work to Building Control.It a bit of a mine field this electrical work.On saying that an employer can employ you as anything he likes.

Dont quote me mind but I think thats the way it works now

The work i mean is for domestic. No site work but just small extensions done through a small building company.

new circuits need to be notified to building control so if its just domestic work you will need to be part p registered and its best your on a competent person scheme as if you are doing a lot of work it will be cheaper.Have a look on the Napit site and have a read or try eca site NIC its called a domestic installer competent person scheme

Sponsored Links
The work i mean is for domestic. No site work but just small extensions done through a small building company.

Nothing stopping you doing the work, the only issue is with notification to LABC. Joining a competent person's scheme may be one way but its a fair outlay in advance so you should be sure you will get the work to justify it.

OTOH if the extensions are being notified and overseen by Building Control anyway, then the fee they are paid should also cover for them to certify the electrical work as compliant for Part P purposes - all you would need to do is notify them in advance, complete the work to BS7671 and issue a certificate as usual.

Having said that, in my experience LABC don't like to work that way and instead try to insist that the customer pays for an inspection by someone they consider competent, or has all work completed by a registered competent person, neither of which are lawful.

Might be worth a call to you local LABC in advance to see what their attitude is to your qualifications and if they will be prepared to accept a certificate from you.

Gavin

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back