Opinions

Sponsored Links
It's OK RF, I'll argue with you for free.

A starter for 10: Leeds United are rubbish.... (ducks behind sofa)

I used to be fairly regular here about ten or so years ago, and recently returned as I am doing some work of my own at the moment. Without naming names, it does seem that at least one poster has kept up an Olympian effort at picking holes and giving oblique, passive aggressive answers over the whole interim period.

Personal opinion is that a lot of that is fine between friends, but if you really feel your mission is to advise and educate, there are better ways to go about it. For some of those people, it may well be inadvisable or illegal to do what they want to do, but you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar, as they say.

Sponsored Links
I'll throw in something which I'm sure will raise the hackles of many males back in Britain: The whole obsession with football and the supporting of this team or that team against all others is ridiculous. It's just a bunch of vastly overpaid men kicking a stupid ball around a muddy field. Who cares?

There! :p

I'll throw in something which I'm sure will raise the hackles of many males back in Britain:
Why?

The whole obsession with football and the supporting of this team or that team against all others is ridiculous.
Whilst there are undoubtedly obsessed fans, there are far fewer than the media would have you believe.

I feel safe in saying that I don't think any of the protagonists referred to have any interest in football.

Whilst there are undoubtedly obsessed fans, there are far fewer than the media would have you believe.
Yes, the media certainly seems to make such a huge fuss over it. I always wondered why the TV news would often make some "big game" the opening headline and main story, even to the extent sometimes of it taking up about half of a 15- or 20-minute bulletin.

I went into a pub recently (it was the end of November) and there was the second England-Pakistan twenty20 on the tv - no sound.

It was a close game and with six overs left the channel was changed so that we could see some people talking about football.

The meal was nice, though.

Sorry, missed that before: It just seems that a very large number of British males regard football almost with a sort of religious zeal. I know there must be plenty like me who could never stand it, but for those who are obsessed with it, I just never could understand why.

It was a close game and with six overs left the channel was changed so that we could see some people talking about football.
That reminds me of my younger days when I would sometimes switch the TV on to watch something, only to find that Match of The Day or something similar would be overrunning because of a delayed football match or some such thing ("Over time" is it called?).

I found that annoying enough, but then quite often even when the game finally finished and they were already running 20 minutes behind schedule, they'd still stay in the studio for another 20 minutes of "talk and analysis" or whatever, making everything else later still. Or in many cases, resulting in something else being cancelled completely.

Sorry, missed that before: It just seems that a very large number of British males regard football almost with a sort of religious zeal. I know there must be plenty like me who could never stand it, but for those who are obsessed with it, I just never could understand why.
Not just British! Particularly if you include other sorts of football.

I'll throw in something which I'm sure will raise the hackles of many males back in Britain: The whole obsession with football and the supporting of this team or that team against all others is ridiculous. It's just a bunch of vastly overpaid men kicking a stupid ball around a muddy field. Who cares?

There! :p
Well I'm glad to hear there are at least two of us.
Never an hour passes on BBC News without a football report. I turn over to Sky News.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back