Pedants corner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Frequency has no relevance to whether the voltage is low or not. The frequency may not be 50hz but the voltage could still be between 50 and 1000v

Agreed, but I'm just adding that as it's our usual frequency.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Let me say this again, as it appears to be missed.

It is pedantry, because.

People say 230v light or low voltage.

Well out of the two, 230v IS the low voltage.

In that conversation, can you not see why I said that?

To pick and snipe at that IS pedantry, as I'm not wrong in saying that 230v is lv.

What is your background?

Electrician domestic?

Electricians mate?

Industrial sparky?

Started domestic, went industrial.

Why do you ask? And what's the relevance?

Well it makes a change from all the name calling and bol****s to actually discuss something worthwhile.

Well, yes, quite.

I've known sparks of reasonable background that I have worked with to be practically wrong and technically wrong (rather than terminoligy contruction pedantry), regardless.

One thought double pole switching was a no no, how the hell he got on in life I do not know, we argued and argued about it, so he thought he'd show me up infront of our manager only to be told I were right and he were wrong.

And another could not wire up a light properly on a commercial site I were on. I were amazed, he had no idea about the slave out of a PIR.

Amazing.

what are your thoughts on fused neutrals as found on older appliances? and i mean well old

I see, you're doing the judgmental questioning.

Well, on old appliances, ok it's not really safe - as if that fuse blew but the phase fuse didn't, there'd be floating voltages on the neutral.

Pedants corner

Pedants' corner, FFS.

Not necessarily, unless you're asserting that the pedants own this corner. If it's merely an area frequented by pedants then there's no apostrophe. (I assume that you're not a grocer as in that case we might differ).

How interesting. I am just wondering if putting the apostrophe like this changes the meaning ?
Pedant's corner.
And why would a grocer differ?

Deppenapostroph -

I've learned something from this thread. I did not realise how important placement of an apostrophe is.

My sister’s friend’s investments (the investments belonging to a friend of my sister)
My sister’s friends’ investments (the investments belonging to several friends of my sister)
My sisters’ friend’s investments (the investments belonging to a friend of several of my sisters)
My sisters’ friends’ investments (the investments belonging to several friends of several of my sisters)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back