Pedants corner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
I knew you'd pick up on that one, dear.
Yes.

But are you pretending that there is no difference because you're a pathetic wriggler, or can you really not see the difference because you are stupid?

Darling, I'm not pretending that there isn't a difference. There's 10 volts between each of those my dear.

I'm not a pathetic wriggler, however you're a pathetic pedant, who has to pick up on anything that anyone says and fully strip it down and attempt to build it up in a fashion that suits you.

You're quite persistent aren't you, sugar?

Which would you rather?

Would you prefer people to think that you are careless, lazy and pathetic, or that you are genuinely so thick that you can see no difference between "What is a Boeing 747? It is an aeroplane" and "What is an aeroplane? It is a Boeing 747"?

Sponsored Links
Which would you rather?

Would you prefer people to think that you are careless, lazy and pathetic, or that you are genuinely so thick that you can see no difference between "What is a Boeing 747? It is an aeroplane" and "What is an aeroplane? It is a Boeing 747"?

Completely pedantic.

You ought to not call others careless and lazy, simply because it's only you who takes things so seriously to go through everything with a fine toothed comb, multiquote until the early hours and snipe at everyone.

You'd make a good auditor, were you one of those before your nasty accident?

Child asks 'what's a plane'? Father points to Airbus and says 'one of those'.

Pedant exclaims 'ooooh no it's not, you're pointing saying a plane is one of those, when you ought to have said one of those is a plane! Tsssk tsssk'

Which would you rather?

Shall we try another example to see if you get the difference?

"Only buses, cycles and taxis may use Bus Lanes."

"Buses, cycles and taxis may only use Bus Lanes."

Same words, different order, and changing the order makes a significant difference to the meaning.

Do you still think that if you keep on pretending that there is no difference then somehow there really won't be one?

Or are you genuinely so thick that you really cannot see the difference?

I wonder how many takers we'll get for the proposition that as 230V is defined to be low voltage that therefore means that low voltage is defined to be 230V?

I rather think I'm with BAS on this one.

If you're going to the bother of having a forum signature (and there's another argument right there), at least do your dignity and self-respect the honour of making sure it is accurate.

I rather think I'm with BAS on this one.

If you're going to the bother of having a forum signature (and there's another argument right there), at least do your dignity and self-respect the honour of making sure it is accurate.

This is the point I've been making, that in my meaning and reason for saying so, it is accurate.

The statement in the entirety for the pedant is another matter, which is for this corner :)

Which would you rather?

Do you still think that if you keep on pretending that there is no difference then somehow there really won't be one?

Or are you genuinely so thick that you really cannot see the difference?

My darling Bas, I've already acknowledged the difference from word order many times over. You're continuing to unneseccarily say that I'm wrong and I'm continuing to say that from my order meaning, you're being pedantic.

Sugar plum, we know what it all means, but you're simply being a pedant over this and will not let it go when to be honest, no one really cares that much, even if they do agree with your pedantry.

We can go on all night if you wish.

Bertie asks, pointing to the shiney bladed wooden handled instrument, 'What's a screw driver?, One of those?'

'No no no' exclaims Rupert, 'one of those is a screw driver, but a screw driver isn't one of those, because there are many that are screw drivers.

Pedantry can go for as many pages as you wish.

Bertie asks, pointing to the shiney bladed wooden handled instrument, 'What's a screw driver?, One of those?'

'No no no' exclaims Rupert, 'one of those is a screw driver, but a screw driver isn't one of those, because there are many that are screw drivers
Q.E.D.

He really doesn't understand.

I do not mean he doesn't really understand.

This is the point I've been making, that in my meaning and reason for saying so, it is accurate.
No it isn't. "Accurate" is the last thing that it is.

The fact that 230V is low voltage does not mean that you can change the order of the words and say that low voltage is 230V.

You must be mentally deficient if you think that.

My darling Bas, I've already acknowledged the difference from word order many times over. You're continuing to unneseccarily say that I'm wrong and I'm continuing to say that from my order meaning, you're being pedantic.
Like I said - accusations of pedantry are being levelled here by someone who is wrong and is becoming more pathetically inadequate and laughably desperate every time he tries to make out he's not actually wrong, just a victim of pedantry.

You seem to think that changing the order of the words does not make a statement incorrect.

Tell us all - do you really believe that if a regulation says that only buses, taxis and cycles may use bus-lanes that it also means, and therefore it would be correct to say, that buses, taxis and cycles may only use bus-lanes?

Are you prepared to answer that?

Sugar plum, we know what it all means, but you're simply being a pedant over this and will not let it go when to be honest, no one really cares that much, even if they do agree with your pedantry.
It's not pedantry. You are thick.

'No no no' exclaims Rupert, 'one of those is a screw driver, but a screw driver isn't one of those, because there are many that are screw drivers.
No - the analogy with what you are saying would be to claim that because that shiny bladed wooden handled instrument is a screwdriver then a screwdriver is a shiny bladed wooden handled instrument. Which would mean that an instrument with a dull blade or a non-wooden handle cannot be a screwdriver.

If you say that "low voltage is 230V" then you are making a definition, and therefore saying that nothing other than 230V is low voltage.

No it isn't. "Accurate" is the last thing that it is.

The fact that 230V is low voltage does not mean that you can change the order of the words and say that low voltage is 230V.

You must be mentally deficient if you think that.

Like I said - accusations of pedantry are being levelled here by someone who is wrong and is becoming more pathetically inadequate and laughably desperate every time he tries to make out he's not actually wrong, just a victim of pedantry.

You seem to think that changing the order of the words does not make a statement incorrect.

Tell us all - do you really believe that if a regulation says that only buses, taxis and cycles may use bus-lanes that it also means, and therefore it would be correct to say, that buses, taxis and cycles may only use bus-lanes?

Are you prepared to answer that?

No - the analogy with what you are saying would be to claim that because that shiny bladed wooden handled instrument is a screwdriver then a screwdriver is a shiny bladed wooden handled instrument. Which would mean that an instrument with a dull blade or a non-wooden handle cannot be a screwdriver.

If you say that "low voltage is 230V" then you are making a definition, and therefore saying that nothing other than 230V is low voltage.

It's pedantry it's pedantry it's all just pedantry

It's pedantry it's pedantry it's all I can see

It's pedantry it's pedantry for you and for me

It's pedantry it's pedantry just you wait and see

Pedantry in the morning, angry bas just keeps name calling

Pedantry at night, oh no a forum fight

Pedantry ohhhhh pedantry it's all just pedantry

It's pedantry it's pedantry for you aaaaaaaaaaand for meeeeeeeeee.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back