Optima Compact - External Bell Box replacement ?

Not necessarily ... as Sparkymarka said touch the white wire to the black wire (0V) next the white speaker terminals. The strobe - will not be at 0V if the strobe is not operating so the sounder will not operate

Ok so I’ve redone the test by removing the white wire and connecting it to the 0v black wire next to the speaker wire.

The result was no bell noise.

Fuses tested again and all working.

The test was done while alarm was powered but no set

Sponsored Links
Does the bell ring when you take the cover off ?

The tamper switch on the cover activates the panel speaker but not the bell box outside.

To run the test with the white wire to 0v black I temporarily bypassed the tamper switch, entered the pin number to silence the alarm and then moved the white wire to 0v black...no sound came from the bell box when I did this.

Think you should start looking at getting someone one that knows what they are doing.

If you take off the cover and the bell is powered up it should sound if the bell tamper was originally secured, although it does sound like the tamper was closed, as the panel registered the bell tamper if I understand you correctly.

Sponsored Links
So I took the bell box cover of today see attached photo and the tamper switch inside the bell box didn’t even activate the siren..is it possible I have a faulty bell box ?

I remember reading that the bell box comes preset, so when it’s first gets power it won’t sound the siren...could it need a jumper moving or taken out of a start up mode ?

It seems odd that the bell box tamper switch doesn’t set it off as I thought it’s designed to run independently of everything as long as the bell box battery is charged ?

Attachments

• 43736666-3804-4A4B-975E-2FDA8A8F7B5C.jpeg
    43736666-3804-4A4B-975E-2FDA8A8F7B5C.jpeg
    353.1 KB · Views: 191
tamper not adjusted properly for the wall its on.

yes I set the tamper up with the adjuster screw so when the lid is lifted you hear a click and the bell box starts flashing as well as the panel inside the house alarming just no bell box sound...

So could the bell box be faulty or could it be a jumper or “engineer hold” type setting I need to change ?

yes I set the tamper up with the adjuster screw so when the lid is lifted you hear a click and the bell box starts flashing as well as the panel inside the house alarming just no bell box sound...

So could the bell box be faulty or could it be a jumper or “engineer hold” type setting I need to change ?

I've been reading a bit more and there are a few people with my model bell box with this issue and it seemed to be because the engineer hold wire was connected which seems to confuse it but checking my wiring that isn't connected...should I try adding it and if so any idea which wire ? or maybe it is a jumper I need to move as mentioned the alarm comes shipped deliberately not to sound the alarm the first time it is connected to power so maybe I need to reset something ?

many thanks

In the bell box put a link from 0v to bell trip ....does the siren now work ?
Could be a faulty piezo sounder

In the bell box put a link from 0v to bell trip ....does the siren now work ?
Could be a faulty piezo sounder

Sorry Sparky can you confirm you mean a link between these two wires, essentially -12v Green Wire and White Bell Wire ?

Sorry I just want to be sure

Attachments

• 9A9490AF-4698-435F-8541-2CD819D9CEE2.jpeg
    9A9490AF-4698-435F-8541-2CD819D9CEE2.jpeg
    264.5 KB · Views: 166
Last edited:
Unscrew that black link wire from T end in the bell box ....touch the bare end onto the bell terminal ( that has the white wire in ) it should ring ....now just to prove a point touch it on the strobe terminal ( black wire ) it should flash ....

Unscrew that black link wire from T end in the bell box ....touch the bare end onto the bell terminal ( that has the white wire in ) it should ring ....now just to prove a point touch it on the strobe terminal ( black wire ) it should flash ....

Thanks Sparky sorry if I'm a bit slow, I ran the test and the piezo makes an almost inaudible siren noise it's sooo quiet but it is there ...you have to literally hold your ear to it to hear anything, when I then connected the 0v black wire to the Strobe terminal the lights on the bell box strobed.

I take it this is a bad sign and no way to fix it apart from replacing the piezo ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back