Optima XM alarm making strange noises and crashing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all,

I have an Optima XM alarm which I believe came with our house back in 1992. I moved in 6 years ago and have never set the alarm and never used it, it just sits happily. In the last couple of days the alarm box inside the downstairs toilet makes lots of strange noises, so much so that i genuinely thought my son had dropped one of his battery operated toy cars down the toilet and made it malfunction. also the alarm box on the outside wall at the top of the house will go off like a normal alarm, then change its pitch, tone and frequency, again sounding like it is malfunctioning.

I did some googling and found there is a battery inside the control panel in the toilet, so I went to my local C.E.F shop and bought a new battery. This didnt make any difference at first, but killing the power via the switch in my fusebox and powering it back on then seemed to stop it making weird noises. Also the keypad responded to me putting the code in.

All has been good for 4 days but when i got home from work i discovered the alarm going off again. Only killing the whole power to the alarm seems to make it stop. The control panel becomes responsive again and it lets me type the code in eventually.

Any ideas what could be happening or ideally what i should check next? could it be a loose connection somewhere which would explain this weird kind of interferance, static, malfunctioning toy car noise which comes from the alarm box in the toilet as well as the actual box on the outside of the house with the blue light? Cheers

Sponsored Links
If you don't use it...just powder it down , you may have replaced the battery but if the large resistor behind the keypad is burnt out it was pointless

I was happy to do that but unfortunately when I turn it off from the fusebox it also seems to kill off the downstairs lights. they keypad works just fine after the system is powered off then back on. It beeps when i type the code in and all is good. Any other ideas what it might be?

Sponsored Links
Is there a fuse I can take out of the back of the alarm to kill it off completely? Is this the one mentioned behind the rubber keypad?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back