Options for building a box/shelf to but freezer on top of our washing machine?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a big cupboard/tiny utility room that we use for our washing machine and some kitchen storage. I want to put a freezer in there, but not lose the floor space.

I'm minded to buy a freezer and put it on top of the washing machine. I wouldn't want the freezer resting on the washing machine, so would need to build some sort of shelf that sits an inch or so over the washing machine, then place the freezer on the shelf.

I've made a quick sketch below. Our underfloor heating access panel sits behind where the freezer would be. There is always the chance we'll need to get to that, so I was thinking about building something on wheels, so the freezer shelf could be slid out when required. I figure it would only require some heavy duty casters, but perhaps overkill - so would consider something without wheels it it will make construction easier.

Would be grateful for suggestions as to what I should build and how. I've got quite a lot of woodworking gear, but no welding equipment. Wondering if wood is the best option - maybe there is a pipe/corner connector system that would be up to the job.

Grateful for any advice.

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 164
Sponsored Links
I'd look at some way of spreading the load on blocks while its at rest to avoid damaging the floor.

Maybe just some non-scratch, sliding material would be better than wheels. I'd hope we don't need to move it more than once a year.

You need a clear air flow around your freezer, inside a cupboard is not good.

Sponsored Links
Cej
Issue is that that is an 'n' shaped box, with only two sides, without a front and back, the two side walls will splay apart as load is applied.
Normally there will also be a front or rear brace (beam) or rear panel to stop side walls splay apart.
Having wheels will only make this effect worse (think roller skater).

A freezer is also super heavy when full.

But if I had to do it would suggest a solution I would put layer of wood on top of washing machine and strap freezer to washing machine and move both washing machine and (exited) freezer when needed.
Images of strap here, but you can buy just the rather strap very cheaply as a single item.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wpro-SKS101-Washing-Accessories-Connecting-Installation/dp/B00ZA6URIY/

Slippy wheel-less furniture guides are here:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rectangular-Furniture-Gliders-Self-Adhesive-Premium/dp/B075ZX9SXJ/
SFK

Back