Supporting weight with top of freezer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a single size front opening freezer. I've put a large shelf over the top of this approx 1.5 inches above it - by large I mean the full depth and width of the freezer.

The shelf is only 12mm contiboard though so really needs supporting in the middle as it bends if I'm to put a microwave on top as I plan to.

Does anyone know how much weight a freezer could take? I've never seen the inside of one so dont know how they are made. Should I just put a couple of strips of wood back to front, or would the weight need to be spread over the whole surface area? I deliverately left the gap for ventilation so I'd rather not block it up completely.

Anyone aware of any adjustable feet that could be put on the bottom of the shelf to rest on the freezer top, or again would I need the load spread more than that?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
i have my microwave on top of the freezer [2nd fridge freezer one now] no probs no protection at all
freezer cabinets tend to be very rigid because of the foam giving strength

if your worried just put put you shelve directly on top for extra support although i wouldnt bother

Thanks. Its already built, and as I said I thought I was being clever by leaving a gap at the top for ventilation. Turns out the wood is more flexible than I thought though. I suppose it is a big shelf.

I should have also mentioned that the freezer is in a thin pantry i.e. 1 metre and the shelf goes right across it and is secured with shelving brackets at both sides. In other words the shelf is about 1m deep by 1m wide. Shelf is probably not the right word, I suppose its a thin worktop. Does that make sense? I've just realised my original post probably didn't explain that very well/at all.

Will probably just put a narrow piece of wood or two between the freezer and the bottom of the shelf and hope that is enough - was just wondering if it mattered whether it is front to back or side to side.

Sponsored Links
i assumed it was around 600wide ;)

1m is to wide for a shelve unsuported

i assume its battons on three sides !!!!

do you have a router!!!

if you have a router cut a rebate 12mmx12mm in a bit of 2x1par[planed 'dressed timber] have the timber wide side showing then screw the top into the timber

now this on its own will sag with a heavy microwave on top but with a batton going front to back full length of the fridge will give enough support
if you havent got a router or don't want to fix a batton to the fron't
place 2 battons front to back on top off the fridge underneath where the micro feet will be

Thanks,
I've afraid it isn't supported three sides - just the two at either side. The back of the shelf is stairs and at a 45 deg angle so not the easiest to fix to.

I'm hoping I can just rest on the freezer. I will put battons front to back underneath where the microwave feet will be and hope this is ok, unless anyone has any other ideas (dont fancy the router option) Sure it will be fine.

Might also look at some supports for the back. Can't you get some sort of poles that attach and reach the floor, almost like legs?
Anyone know what I mean by that?

and after all that work, pray that the fridge freezer never breaks down.

Excellent, will chuck a couple of them at the back too.
As for it breaking down there is enough room around it to pull it out fairly easily. Difficult to describe but its not like I've boxed it in as such, just put it under a shelf/worktop.

Thanks for everyone's help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back