Options to hide central heating pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help if possible.
I'm updating my bathroom and got to the wall where the central pipes are. The rest of the room is going to be full height tile and I'm thinking of the best way to hide these pipes/trunking.
The plan is to put a towel rail on this wall (rather than the previous radiator). I don't want to change where the pipes come down from the roof as it's asbestos so want to leave as is.

My thoughts were:

Keep the existing trunking running down the wall and straighten the pipes where they currently kink out and re-box it in with a tile finish to finish in line with the third row of tiles. Then either tile up to the trunking or keep the upper 2/3 wall as a painted wall. One of these is my preferred option, would tiling up to the trunking look wrong? Or leave the last 2/3 of the wall a painted wall look wrong?

Chase the pipe work into the wall, and create an an access panel at the 90 degree turn and tile the whole wall

Any ideas would be great. Was hoping to have figured it out by when I got to it but still undecided.

Thanks

Attachments

• 20220612_200347.jpg
    20220612_200347.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 75
  • Screenshot_20220612-200507_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20220612-200507_Samsung Internet.jpg
    279.7 KB · Views: 68
Sponsored Links
I’m a purest and ideally would always want to get the pipes re run properly so they are fully hidden away without any unsightly boxings being created.

Assuming there is no better route to get the pipes to the radiator I would maybe batton out the whole wall with 20mm timbers, then plasterboard so there is just space for the pipes to sit in behind and then you have a completely flush wall for your tiles and your rad tails can neatly pop out the wall in exactly the right spot to meet your towel rail. No access panels required.

In answer to other point - 1/3 tile walls are perfectly acceptable - maybe a giant custom sized mirror glued to the entire 2/3rds section could be cool and would make bathroom feel twice the size.

Thanks, do you recon 1/3 tiles on this wall only would look odd if the rest is full tile?

Thinking some shelfs on there may add some interest to it...

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the thoughts. I'm going with 1/3 tiled finish and the rest how it is albeit will add some shelving

You could box corner and skirting to hide pipes but should be done before the tile

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back