options

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
talking to a neighbour who has just had a rewire,but they told the electrician to leave.
he had done the first fix,they decorated he then came back to finish but sayed someone had damaged wiring in different locations,(no other work had been done)he then started channeling out the newly decorated walls.
but they think he had just frogotten to put some cables in.
i think he had more or less finished,they came home from work he had been mixing cement on their newly tiled floor,they said it was the last straw,(he had let them down on numerous occasions not turning up)so they asked him to leave.
they now have no paperwork and i assume he has'nt notified the work,
what are their options?

Sponsored Links
talking to a neighbour who has just had a rewire,but they told the electrician to leave.
he had done the first fix,they decorated he then came back to finish but sayed someone had damaged wiring in different locations,(no other work had been done)he then started channeling out the newly decorated walls.
but they think he had just frogotten to put some cables in.
i think he had more or less finished,they came home from work he had been mixing cement on their newly tiled floor,they said it was the last straw,(he had let them down on numerous occasions not turning up)so they asked him to leave.
what are their options?

Sounds like he was a cowboy who would neither have been able to produce the relevent paperwork.

I hope they have no paid him anything. Why was he mixing cement :?:

for the chases.. probably sand 'n' cement rather than plaster..

if I was a sceptical man, I would be inclined to think that the neighbours got the work done by a relative or DIY'ed it and now someone has told them about part P and they've come up with a sob storey to cover themselves...

so it's a good thing I'm not a sceptical man... ;)

Sponsored Links
I don't know, I wasn't there nor am I privy to the mans thought processes..

I also don't know whether the walls at the job are done in s n c or not..

I don't know, I wasn't there nor am I privy to the mans thought processes..

I also don't know whether the walls at the job are done in s n c or not..

I was just being curious, thought that there might be a good reason for s n c rather than plaster in a chased (I assumed) plaster wall. :LOL:

but they think he had just frogotten to put some cables in
If some cable had been damaged, is likely the man had to replace it, so difficult to assume that!
what are their options?
Maybe a bit of brown nosing, has he any business cards with scheme providers on, if not call him find out.
Then I'd suggest calling Local building controls and see if they are willing to take responsibility for the installation under a regularisation certificate. That will cost a fee though
They may want to have a look at the first fix and cable routing?
Might need a bit more S&G and watch those tiles :cry:

but I'd have thought that he'd have dead tested prior to plastering or rendering over cables?
Hey maybe a cable had been damaged and your neighbour was being a little harsh because the tiles needed a clean.

If you add a little cement to bonding or hardwall plaster it goes off quicker - handy for setting back boxes in uneven holes.

Going back to the options -

One option (other than asking Building Control for help) is to call the electrician back and check his credentials, then ask him to continue. This is assuming you still owe him money for the first fix. If he's paid up, he won't want to come back.

Otherwise, call another electrician - he will know straight away whether the previous electrician was up to scratch and can set you straight on what went wrong and what options you have.

thanks for the replys.they are on about getting another spark in,just wanted to try and find out what options they have,so they know what to expect,is getting in touch with building control the only one?

thanks derry,so they could provide certs and report the job to building control

It's not as simple as that.

IF the original electrician was registered then the route with the best chance (not a guarantee) of a successful outcome is through the organisation he was registered with.

If he was not registered then the work should have been notified to LABC before it was started, the way in which it was planned to achieve Building Regulations compliance would should have been described, and LABC would then have approved (if they agreed with them) the plans, so the thing to do now is to go back to LABC.

If neither of these situations applied then the best they'll be able to get out of another electrician is a Periodic Inspection Report, not an Electrical Installation Certificate, and they'll have to throw themselves on the mercy of their LABC regarding a Building Regulations certificate.

BTW - I actually think that ColJack was onto something....

Of course if another electrician were to come in, sus out the job, finsish it, and be very carful how he words the extent of intsllation work box and then submit it through his scheme, then its very unlikely that anyone will question the lack of notification for the previous (first fix work), and if anything untoward happens because a cable ins't where its supposed to be, then the EIC is clear on what work it covers...

Probably dodgy ground, but I'm sure it happens in practice!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back