Orbital sander recommendations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good evening,
I've a lot of walls to fill and sand, and having done one room by hand, fancy a power tool to do the heavy lift.
Looking for recommendations for an orbital sander, ideally one that takes the mesh which are great for sanding filler and plaster.
I've heard Mirka are great but a kit is £400 - worth the money?
Cheers.

Sponsored Links
I sanded two rooms last August totalling around 25 x 15

I used a screwfix titan orbital connected to a £50 aldi wet and dry vac with power take off so that the sander triggered the vac still a fair bit of dust but nothing like it would have been without suction

Sponsored Links
There's an Air driven Mirka on ebay for £40 if that's any good to you. Not had any first hand experience myself but I don't think I'd be that interested in a sander.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mirka-orb...233836?hash=item3f785bfbec:g:tZkAAOSw32lY1EM0

Cheers but air driven isn't really what I'm looking for.

I sanded two rooms last August totalling around 25 x 15

I used a screwfix titan orbital connected to a £50 aldi wet and dry vac with power take off so that the sander triggered the vac still a fair bit of dust but nothing like it would have been without suction

Cheers. My issue with normal sander is the clogging. I assume you didn't have this problem so will look at that model. Been using a hand sander from B&Q with the mesh.

No, use a broad metal scraper instead, while it is fresh.

I see but there's always a little filler left. Maybe I'm kack handed!

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Yes I got the mirka Deros, and It's worth it.
-I'm not a construction worker, just like to do woodworking and currently refurbishing house so it's used from time to time, I have had few sanders...None of them comes even close to mirka in any way. Once you touch that thing you will never want to go back to anything else.
-I'm frugal as f and I also think it was really expensive, it's my most expensive tool.. Heck that thing is worth nearly as much as my car I drive :D

-They hold their resale value REALLY well, I sold my 2.5 or 3 years used and abused one for 275
than just bought a new one with new 3year warranty for similar price I think 280 :D
This is How I did it:
I bought it at this website(the cheapest place if you do few tricks):

https://www.angliatoolcentre.co.uk/mirka-deros-sander-pid42637.html

Use coupon: 300CQ90 , to get 5% off to take it to 351
Go through Quidco, they give 6% cashback so now its down to about 334

Than once you receive it, List the Systainer box/extra 125mm head/all the booklets on ebay- I sold mine for 60pounds :D It comes in a rebranded festool box so they are quite valuable.
So that comes down to about 270-280 to actually own one..When you get bored of it, you can get pretty much the same $ back for it if you buy it this way...
Pro-tip Don't buy used... Either it will cost more than buying it this way, you wont get warranty or it will be abused to hell as this is a pro tool.

The Mirka Deros looks awesome but I just cant afford it ATM. I suspect I will crack at some point though....

Have ordered a Mikra Handy Kit. Its a hand sander which you can attach to a hoover. £30.

upload_2017-4-13_12-57-27.png

The Mirka Deros looks awesome but I just cant afford it ATM. I suspect I will crack at some point though....

Have ordered a Mikra Handy Kit. Its a hand sander which you can attach to a hoover. £30.

View attachment 117315

I sanded one of the first rooms I ever did In drywall with a hand sander.. after painting it I wanted to re-do it immediately :D
it's such a heavy work if you got considerable amount to sand... But at least the dust will be taken care of with this.
Good luck!

I have sanded a couple of rooms with the Titan orbital (£44.99), and attached to a titan vac.

Dust extraction works a treat, almost no dust.

Vac is still going fine but the Velcro pad on the sander has worn and can't be replaced (see my post), however the time saved using the sander and the impressive lack of dust is probably worth the £44 !

I'll probably buy another to finish another couple of rooms, but will look into 'pad savers' to protect the Velcro pad

I was sanding mainly heavily (poorly) applied emulsion, and also some filling patches.

View attachment 117315
You shouldn't be disappointed, I bought one with a variety of extra grade pads, I have done the walls and all the wooden parts in two rooms and am still on the first pad.
The cone shape on the end fits into the Henry and Aquavac and the mesh pad design leave very little dust to float around
litl
litl

You shouldn't be disappointed, I bought one with a variety of extra grade pads, I have done the walls and all the wooden parts in two rooms and am still on the first pad.
The cone shape on the end fits into the Henry and Aquavac and the mesh pad design leave very little dust to float around
litl
litl

Used it for the first time last night, highly impressed. Cuts through filler like butter and flattens plaster pretty well. Very little dust too when hooked up to my Wickes wet / dry vac.

Problem is, its just seriously made me want a Deros..... How good must that be!?!?

Glad you got sorted. Mirka system looks like a good bit of kit.

A bit late to the party but I also have had good success with Titan tools:
http://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-ttb289sdr-125mm-random-orbit-sander-230v/46113

Cheers. I ordered a Deros in the end.
The first one was faulty (!) but the replacement should arrive today.
Whilst a lot of money for £400 you get lots of bits in the box.
I really wanted to use the abranet pads and have good dust extraction (as my house gets progressively more finished) and the 6'' plate was important to be as well.
See if it lives up to the hype....

Cheers.
Mirka Deros turning into a nightmare.
First unit the vibration adjustment screws wouldn't budge. Should be 2nm which is peanuts. Sent it back.
Got the replacement unit and same problem.
Going back.
LOL.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back