Original ceiling paper cracking - how to fix?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have an 1879 terrace which has original ceiling work in the hallway.

Since we moved in, and added an en suite type room above the hallway, we have seen cracking appearing in the patterned period paper which was on the ceiling. attached are some photos. How would I go about fixing and maintaining the original feature?

tNlLGHhl.jpg

ZxDnIrwl.jpg

6DCrNVfl.jpg

TqeHMRil.jpg

If you noticed patchiness in the paintwork, ignore that as it was there when we bought the house. I think the 'builder' who restored the house painted over it and it's discoloured.

Your thoughts appreciated,

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Have you lifted a bit to see the condition of the plaster underneath?
I would have thought it very unusual for paper/Lincrusta/Anagypta to crack open that way, maybe a seam might open, but as a rule that's all.

If it is solid underneath I would try to squirt some water underneath to soften it then ease it away enough to get a heavy duty paste under. Then a finger full of filler in the remaining gap if needed and paint.

if that was my ceiling I would take the paper off see whats underneath if anything needs repairing repair it then, repaper

Have you lifted a bit to see the condition of the plaster underneath?
I would have thought it very unusual for paper/Lincrusta/Anagypta to crack open that way, maybe a seam might open, but as a rule that's all.

If it is solid underneath I would try to squirt some water underneath to soften it then ease it away enough to get a heavy duty paste under. Then a finger full of filler in the remaining gap if needed and paint.

Cheers for the advice. So water would soften it allowing me to manipulate it back into place with paste?

Sponsored Links
if that was my ceiling I would take the paper off see whats underneath if anything needs repairing repair it then, repaper

The problem with this is I'd like to keep it original.
who said that that is the original paper? keeping that paper would mean there will always be some kind of reapair that can be seen and also you wont know whats going on the the ceiling underneath you should be able to get similar paper to replace it then repaint it and it will look just as good

who said that that is the original paper? keeping that paper would mean there will always be some kind of reapair that can be seen and also you wont know whats going on the the ceiling underneath you should be able to get similar paper to replace it then repaint it and it will look just as good

Nobody, I'm basing it on the fact that the person who owned the house before us was 94 and the rest of the house has all its original features in place. The neighbours tell us that as far as they know she changed nothing and she had lived here all her life.

Would you have a link or at least a suggestion of where I'd get similar paper?

Nobody, I'm basing it on the fact that the person who owned the house before us was 94 and the rest of the house has all its original features in place. The neighbours tell us that as far as they know she changed nothing and she had lived here all her life.

Would you have a link or at least a suggestion of where I'd get similar paper?
well I had 5 minutes to spare so I googled for you the first link looks a good bet ive given you a second link for good measure http://www.originalfeatures.co.uk/anaglypta-wallcoverings/about-anaglypta

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/2909...&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=95

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back