Oscillating cutter multitool broken, warning, questions.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Love my Makita TX3000TM14 corded multitool. Old style with Alan key to fix blades to the head

Just for DIY, fair amount of it though.

One of those tools that you never use unless you can't use anything else and when you do it's a real lifesaver.

So mine just started to slip - the head rotates. Note this is not the blade rotating on the head, it's the head itself.

Years ago I saw a film on YouTube of a guy advising people to take great care not to overtighten the bolt that holds the blades onto the teeth of the head. A few times I had the blades wobble off so it was always a case of very tight!
This is the only thing I can imagine has caused the failure. I have not abused it in normal use.
Online search says the back side of the head is a toothed mass set into nylon . These will of course give way eventually (366 days ?)

I'm afraid I plan to buy another, Makita multitool but with the quick release (no Alan key to prematurely kill the tool).

1. Has yours died in this way? Brand?
2. Have you repaired it/ had it fixed?
3. Can anyone recommend an alternative brand?

Thanks for any input.

Sponsored Links
Update and pics.
Seems really solid and we'll made. Such a shame... The zinc mass that contains the knackered bits doesn't want to open so I think she's dead.

If I can find anyone that offers repairs I will update but for now and unless we get a lot of Dewalt- me too etc then maybe avoid these?

Sponsored Links
I can't see how over tightening the bolt that holds the saw blade can be the issue.

It sounds like something in the crank housing has broken- the replacement part is nearly £50 ex deliver and fitting.

I too would recommend a new Fein MultiMaster.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back