Osram Son T vialox 250W Lamp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks, looking to do my mate a favour and get 2 car park lights going again as its pitch black.

Long story short he's just moved in to his new house, nobody seems to know or want to know who owns/maintains the lights so we thought I'd just (hopefully) replace them, for the sake of 20 odd quid.
Anyways, both lamps look black/dud but one ignites for about 30 secs to full brightness and goes out, I tried this in other completely dead fitting and it does the same.
Does this point to a dud lamp when it "cycles" like this?

Also the lamp gives off a white light, is this high pressure sodium (HPS), as low pressure sodium is an orange glow?

The only place on a sunday I think i'd have a chance of buying a replacement lamp is electricfix, they list a HPS Super Tubular HID Sodium (SON). Its externally ignited which is what I need, its on page 200 FWIW.
Its by Sylvania, Does this look like a suitable replacement?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Cycling is a good sign.

That shows there is power to the fitting, the ballast and ignitor also seem to be working.

You should be able to just fit new lamps and that'll be job done.

You say the fitting produces white light. Was this while your faulty lamp was striking or when the light was fully lit before it went faulty?

Is it a really harsh bright white like floodlights at a football ground, or did it have an orange tint to it like most streetlights?

Do you have one of the lamps to hand at the moment?

Hi RF, as he's just moved in we have never saw the lights fully working, now that you mention it, dont SON's tend to go a whitish colour as they start up so its possible that it should be the orangey colour once up to temperature?
I put the old lamps back in just incase the "owners" thought someone was tampering with their equiptment.
I took a note of what was on them, couldnt really get a good picture, was pouring of rain and I only had a mobile.

IMAG0063.jpg

Osram 250W Violux SON-T with the E in the triangle as there is an external ignitor.

This is the one I think may be a suitable replacement.

IMAG0064.jpg

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It could be a white SON lamp or even possibly a Metal halide replacement which will work off SON gear.(eg Venture)
It will not be a SOX (low pressure)as these will not cycle, they will just shut down when expired and are orange anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back