Other forums

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I like to take a look around the web for forums that interest me and get a flavour for what they are about before joining. But one I look at doesn't let you see the content without joining.

Why would they do that?

Sponsored Links
I like to take a look around the web for forums that interest me and get a flavour for what they are about before joining. But one I look at doesn't let you see the content without joining.

Why would they do that?
Probably run by the Masons. ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

whats the problem with joining and then deciding? :confused:

Sponsored Links
I can't understand why you are looking at it if you can't see the content

Do you just stare at the home screen?

I can't understand why you are looking at it if you can't see the content

Do you just stare at the home screen?

No I don't, just noticed it's the only forum like that, unless there are others.

Megane Owners Club forum is like that, I've wondered if maybe there's an advantage to the owners if they generate more income from advertising the more members they have? Clearly I know nothing about the running of Forums BTW.

some of the car forums will no doubt have some kind of technical section where fixes etc are listed,the 1 i help moderate has certain rules where non members can read it and new members have to do a certain ammount of posts,before they can download from it.
others will only allow a certain ammount of pages per day to be read by a guest.
others are totally open that you do not need to join,so you get your info without giving anything back.

I know of a forum like that.
Think I read somewhere that some forums do this for a physcological (sp) reason, the idea being that you register out of curiosity then, hopefully, like it and stay/re-visit. Bit like going to ASDA and they've moved the stock around so you have to go further into the store to find what you are looking for. Whilst you are looking for what you want you spot something else that catches your eye and browse a bit more.
What have you got to lose by registering? There may be something there that attracts your attention and if there isn't that visit, and sometimes there isn't, then its much easier to pop back at a later date and have another look. Forums ebb and flow as I was trying to point out in a thread the other day. Unfortunately some begin to ebb and seem to forget to flow.
If it appears to be a fledgling site then what have you got to lose by getting in on the ground floor and possibly making it a better site?
You are not restricted by anyone anywhere on how many, what type/how often you browse/participate in other forums.
As Nickso says, name the site, I'll have a look and then you will get at least 2 opinions before you sign up and make your own choice as to visit it again or not.

Sponsored Links
Back