Probate

Sponsored Links
Thanks to all the advice and knowledge - really IS appreciated. Thanks chaps. :)

Sod, I have done 2 in recent years, neither of which (Dad and MiL) were much more complex than a house and contents, bank accounts, utility accounts etc. One had a will the other not. House value? Look at recent sales nearby, and adjust for the standards in your Dad's vs the ones for sale. Unless he had an estate, I would not be paying a valuer. Probate is not really interested in second hand sofas and fridges. Ignore them. The watch? If it's Phillipe Patik (sp) list it's value, otherwise, addit to a small total value for contents. Be sensible. Read all the OFFICIAL guidance online, fill in the forms, and away to go. It's worth setting up an executors' bank account, and when Dad's are all closed, you'll have a destination acc for them. Most big banks have a bereavement section, usually staffed with excelent people. DWP have a one call system for closing benefit accs. The registrar should alert you to that. Unless a complex estate, you DO NOT need a solicitor.

My condolences.

CG
Thanks CG - really helpful - I'd forgotten about the new bank account so thanks lotsa! All banks, pensions etc have been informed and we also used the 'tell us once' system when we registered the death.

One of my brothers is going to dads on Sunday and estate agents coming Monday - so that's the last of the estate valuation sorted. Now I can start the ball rolling for probate and do a tax return etc. I am very lucky, my brother worked in finance for 35 years (though he doesn't do that now) so sorting the figures etc was very simple to him.

We don't want a solicitor, our thoughts were at the start that plenty of people go though this without and between the three of us we should be able to muddle through!

I've been making the funeral arrangements and that's getting there now, just finer details to be sorted and I've also managed to track down a long-lost brother who is named as a benefactor. He fell out with the family over 20 years ago because of drugs.. He has yet to respond to my contact, am pretty sure he won't so that's going to be another headache. If he doesn't get in touch, I will have to leave his portion with a solicitor for him to claim whenever he wishes (or not at all). I don't want to be the one holding onto it once this is all over once am granted probate. I am guessing he won't want it because his benefits will all be cut - or he's trying to figure out a way to hide it!!

One more thing, what are the possible consequences of not advertising the death in the paper? I just don't see the point though it is strongly recommended.

If he was a drug user 20 years ago, he might be clean now, or sadly may be beyond contact.

Sponsored Links
Back