Letting, selling

How much are you into this person? (no rude jokes please!)

I think you've posted before about relationships and getting all the practical/financial stuff sorted out. Absolutely nothing wrong with that, but it almost seems as though this all takes priority for you over the fun stuff being in a relationship is supposed to bring.

If you're not that into them, is it worth the hassle?

Sponsored Links
How much are you into this person? (no rude jokes please!)

I think you've posted before about relationships and getting all the practical/financial stuff sorted out. Absolutely nothing wrong with that, but it almost seems as though this all takes priority for you over the fun stuff being in a relationship is supposed to bring.

If you're not that into them, is it worth the hassle?

Yes, I am 'well into them', but there I are two facets to this and my personality - the fun side and the very practical hard headed side. I'm just stumped by getting her to sort out the practical/financial side and it is made more difficult by the distance between us.

Sponsored Links
Yes, I am 'well into them', but there I are two facets to this and my personality - the fun side and the very practical hard headed side. I'm just stumped by getting her to sort out the practical/financial side and it is made more difficult by the distance between us.
I would take nothing to do with her property, other than offering advice. That way, should the relationship not last, you're not tied in any way.

sounds like a yarn to be fair.
You lost me at half the value of the house is owed to mortgage and debt yet it’ll be cleared in a couple of years even though she barely manages to service the debt.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would take nothing to do with her property, other than offering advice. That way, should the relationship not last, you're not tied in any way.

Exactly, one of my big concerns too, besides - she has it within her means to sort things out on her own. Her risk she has voiced, is one of me later chucking her out leaving her homeless and seeking somewhere to rent to live. I very much doubt that would could/would happen, unless she is unreasonable, but we are both fairly tolerant personalities.

Last edited:
sounds like a yarn to be fair.
You lost me at half the value of the house is owed to mortgage and debt yet it’ll be cleared in a couple of years even though she barely manages to service the debt.
Mortgages and property charges aren’t always the same.

it can be true that she has a small mortgage and also charges for debts covering half the value. she may have benefited from some legal advice when her husband died as his debts might have been ring fenced, depending on the tenancy arrangement they had as a couple.

Mortgages and property charges aren’t always the same.

it can be true that she has a small mortgage and also charges for debts covering half the value. she may have benefited from some legal advice when her husband died as his debts might have been ring fenced, depending on the tenancy arrangement they had as a couple.

She is very confused about her situation and making it more difficult for me to get a proper handle on it, but she seems to be saying that the mortgage will be paid off in two years - the Charges will still be in place against the house and she is suggesting she owes around £50K in total, but she hasn't checked to be certain of the actual figures. I have impressed upon her the need to contact the companies with the Charges, to find out the actual sums owed, because she is just guessing at the moment. She rang the LR earlier in the week, expecting them to know what the value of the charges were, but obviously they didn't, only that there were such Charges against the property.

She is very confused about her situation and making it more difficult for me to get a proper handle on it, but she seems to be saying that the mortgage will be paid off in two years - the Charges will still be in place against the house and she is suggesting she owes around £50K in total, but she hasn't checked to be certain of the actual figures. I have impressed upon her the need to contact the companies with the Charges, to find out the actual sums owed, because she is just guessing at the moment. She rang the LR earlier in the week, expecting them to know what the value of the charges were, but obviously they didn't, only that there were such Charges against the property.
Or is she pretending to be confused so a knight in shining armor comes along to rescue her?

Sorry, I'm cynical by nature.

Advise her to speak to Citizens Advice for all that stuff so you and her can concentrate on making some real sweeeeet love :)

I'd suggest you legally cover what ever you sort out such that you can not suffer yourself however things eventually work out.

I do know of one similar case where things worked out very badly for the man concerned. The lady did rather well. This might be a rather cynical view but these things can and do happen.

A few free debt advice organisation exist , i know the moneyadviceservice used to have a debt service years ago , when i consulted for them 2010ish. now called Money Helper

Sponsored Links
Back