Letting, selling

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't let to the friend for a vastly reduced fee.

I would let it out at the going rate.
It's a bit like doing jobs at "mate's rates" - they get the benefit from it, but you end up using time, materials and equipment as well as probably using up a weekend or whatever whilst getting paid less than you ordinarily would. So basically her "mate" would be screwing her financially, and £150 a month off £550, or more than 25%, is one hell of a discount. There is a housing shortage in the UK, so many people looking for a rental home are struggling to find one anywhere, so there would probably be little difficulty letting it. Letting to a mate is also no guarantee that they will keep the property in good order or treat it with any respect (from bitter firsthand experience)

Last edited by a moderator:
So basically her "mate" would be screwing her financially, and £150 a month off £550, or more than 25%, is one hell of a discount.

That is exactly what I have said to her, plus the risk of them becoming squatters with no proper contract between them. She then would really struggling for money. She is very single minded about it, despite being scammed, she still gives everyone the benefit of the doubt.

Me, I don't, not any more. Been soft hearted a time too many in the past

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
If that were me, I would want full disclosure of her entire financial situation (the fact that she claims not to know usually means it's worse than they think). You sound intelligent enough to be able to help her get out of the mess she's in - which she doesn't seem willing or able to do herself. Moving forward, as you seem to be financially "unequal" you will need decide how much of a "hit" you are prepared to take in terms of her financial contribution to the relationship - this will presumably be fluid until her situation improves. Otherwise, unless you live an incredibly "quite" life you are going to have constant issues with holidays, meals and days out, Christmas and birthdays etc.

Consider charging her the marginal extra costs (25% council tax, a few quid for gas and electric etc) in the short term and ramp this up as her income improves.

From experience, living with the financially inept can be miserable - take control and get it sorted.

From experience, living with the financially inept can be miserable - take control and get it sorted.

I can see how that could feel.
It doesn't have to be that way though. You can chose to let them get on with it and turn your attention elsewhere. For more; google 'detach with love'.
Some people don't want to be fixed or controlled. I advocate letting people make their own mistakes or make their own successes. People will only learn to take responsibility for themselves and develop in their capabilities if other people let them. If someone asks for help, then that is fair to help them as much as they need, but best not to take over.

That is why I am suggesting she makes a contribution here, rather than we just share the bills. She pays a fixed amount and I deal with all of the outgoings. I have just spent an hour on the phone with her trying to move her forward some. She said she was down to her last £10 last weekend, having paid everything she had out and needs to wait until her salary comes through this week. That is no way to live!

A word of warning - if she lets for an obviously low amount the Tax Man could decide she is working a fiddle and charge her tax on what they deem is the rental value. She definitely needs to forget about 'Mates Rates' it will bite her (and the tenants) in the end.
Strongly recommend that she gets an Estate Agent to Vet prospective tenants - will cost her a bit but in the long term well worth it.
She will not need to set up a new AST every year, after the initial term the contract will roll into a periodic tennancy and the rent can be increased and every 12 months after that.

Sponsored Links
Back