Ouside sink drain filling up with sewage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our outside downstairs sink drain (gulley?) fills up with sewage (in the form of nappies) every time we have a shower/empty bath. This has happened before with our neighbours on our left (I think the nappies are coming from the house on our right, but they deny it).

Our bath/shower pipe is on a different run to our downstairs sink so cannot understand why the sweage is coming up there - some kind of back pressure? Where would the blockage be - somewhere between us and our neigbours to our left I guess?

Sponsored Links
Need a sketch really. Look in every available manhole.

Are nappies really supposed to be flushable?

Of course nappies aren't flushable, that's what's caused the blockage?!

I'm puzzled why I am getting crud coming up through a drain that is not directly connected to my/my neighbours soil stack. They connect somewhere - probably 15 feet away in the garden but that is some back pressure to force it out through a different pipe.

vegasgo said:
Of course nappies aren't flushable,

i didnt know that :oops:

have you tried rodding the pipe with the flat disc atacment, may be something else causing the nappies to come back up your way

drain rod set form here

other suppliers of drain rods are available

Sponsored Links
Have a chat with water company/council - they may be able to help with the source of the nappies. They can only be coming from one of your nieghbours.

Perhaps a camera survey would be of help/

Have managed to cure this with a plunger after letting bath water out, thanks for all your advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back