Out of date building sand???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My neighbour wants to build a 2 courses edge on a path in his garden.
He has got a large plastic container (with lid) full of building sand leftover from another job 4 years ago.
The sand is dry, but clean.
He wants to dispose of it and buy more "fresh" sand.
He's convinced that building sand has a shelf life.
I've never heard of this and I think he's confused with cement about the shelf life.
Have you ever used 4 year old sand?
I personally haven't, but I think it's perfectly fine.
What do you reckon?

Sponsored Links
The sell-by date is different to the use-by date or best before date.

Was it in the freezer?

Sponsored Links
My neighbour wants to build a 2 courses edge on a path in his garden.
He has got a large plastic container (with lid) full of building sand leftover from another job 4 years ago.
The sand is dry, but clean.
He wants to dispose of it and buy more "fresh" sand.
He's convinced that building sand has a shelf life.
I've never heard of this and I think he's confused with cement about the shelf life.
Have you ever used 4 year old sand?
I personally haven't, but I think it's perfectly fine.
What do you reckon?
I always was told that some sand won't like being sat out in the rain uncovered, and could "go off" after a while

I always was told that some sand won't like being sat out in the rain uncovered, and could "go off" after a while
It might be because it can get contaminated

Last edited by a moderator:
It might be because it can get contaminated with things
It's in a plastic container with lid, no rain, no bugs and it's been in there for 4 years.
It's just dry sand.
To me it's perfectly fine.
I just asked because personally I never used sand that had been sitting for long.

Never made sand castles at the beach?? That's being sitting there for billions of years.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Andy

Isn't all sand about 3 million years old, or thereabouts.
some sand will only be hours old, it is continuously made as bigger rocks errode and wear down. But yes the vast vast majority will be millions of years old. I'm not so sure about billions, if it turned to sand that long ago it has probably turned to dust and something else since then. So sand in the environment probably does have a shelf life before in wears down further

Does all sand come from 'sand stone' or can it come from other rocks? Sand stone is sedimentary I think ? from the bottom of old river beds ?

The daft question in the original post reminds me of a lad (boy racer) I knew from years ago, he used to like to let all the air out of his tyres before re inflating them, he argued air would get worn out with all the squishing and squashing it gets going over all the bumps, and swore his car handled better with new unused air in. I'm, 99.99% sure he was wrong on that, but it does occasionally cross my mind.

Last edited:
The daft question in the original post reminds me of a lad (boy racer) I knew from years ago, he used to like to let all the air out of his tyres before re inflating them, he argued air would get worn out with all the squishing and squashing it gets going over all the bumps, and swore his car handled better with new unused air in. I'm, 99.99% sure he was wrong on that, but it does occasionally cross my mind.
Not 100%?? I do that but with tubes in as well, it's to reduce tyre pressures for competition use and snow to increases the footprint area without increasing tyre width, but I leave some air in hence the tubes so the tyres don't push off the rims. Never noticed any difference when pumped back up with fresh air.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back