out of interest...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just put together a new portable bar b.
what is the purpose of having a screw, then a washer, then a small ring then the nut?

why not just the screw and the nut?
seems like a big effort and lot of faff.

Sponsored Links
Post a picture of your small ring, please.

joe

ill keep it clean ;) do you mean a spring washer :?: if so that helps it not working loose, if you think it will, put a locking washer on and a split pin if that fails get your welding kit out :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
I dont know...
a screw...a wing nut...small washer... large washer....heat resistant washer....small lock washer......large lock washer........pin.cotter pin.

still Ive done it!!!!!

just seems very complicated for screwing something together......... :rolleyes:

The wonders spring and the Belleville washer.
:D

toffee, why did you even start this thread? I mean, you're an intelligent person, you should have known a post about nuts and screws would degenerate into a thread of sexual innuendos, with some of the nuts on here!

Still, at least its not another racist thread! :rolleyes: :LOL:

to be honest,I should have seen it coming and although I can be rude with the rest of you when I wish to be I honestly did not mean anything rude with this.
I was feeling quite chuffed with myself at sorting the bits into the right piles according to what they were from the diagrams and getting it all together with the bits in the right order etc.
I dont have a clue about these things so it isnt a case of knowing what sits next to what automatically.

It seemed like a lot of hassle... having all these seperate pieces and not just two. I used the correct names for them as I was quite pleased with myself for knowing!!!!

I went to wilkinsons today for a torch and got a cheapy bar b to keep in the boot of my car since I am on a roll at the moment with er... need to be careful on the choice of words.... putting things together....

It incidently only had the two parts (being screw and nut) and as I put it together, kept working loose.

So, I think I can see why you need all the other bits now!!

Washer spreads the load and helps prevent damage from turning nuts and the like against the parts being secured.
Can also be used to prevent nuts / bolts working loose - stake, spring and other types.
http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/mwasher.html

The Belleville washer, cupped spring steel.. great usage in engineering.. using different combos of convex or concave abutment
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belleville_washer
Nice link there to a NASA fastener design manual. 9 MB :(

Upshot .. good fastening involves the use of washers.... I bet there are not many with a selection in their tool box.

Leaving out such items, or using such made from incorrect material in aerospace work could lead to disaster... If an inspector missed the error of course.
;)

All you need to do now is wait for some good weather so you can use it toffee, I take it you didn't get outside with it Yesterday!! (not nice weather btw in Cumbria)

the weather was awful!!!
Looking better today.
Im off camping for the weekend so keeping fingers for good weather.

Sponsored Links
Back